weights

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

weights

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:17 pm

From the old boards...

Ben Garcia

weights
Started at Wed May 5 16:16:55 2004 IP130.160.200.178 Wellllll, looks like it's time to hit the ol' weights for the first time in about 5 years. Does anyone have a good martial arts type weight workouts that have worked for them? I say martial arts because I want to keep things like speed, flexibility, agility, etc and gain strength (and some mass!) as opposed to focusing entirely on getting pumped up.
Of course, for those of you who know me, getting big is probably the least of my concerns.wink

Tye Botting
Administrator

Re: weights
Reply #2 Posted at Wed May 5 20:38:42 2004 IP204.196.55.102 eh?

Michael H

Reply #3 Posted at Wed May 5 21:04:49 2004 IP128.194.207.53 Tye, I found out the hard way that this box allows a limited number of key strokes. I started a new line and all info above that line disappeared...if that is what happened.

Back to the topic of weights. Bem, my routine for weight training consists of alternating every three months with low weight high reps for endurance and definition with low reps and high weight for strength. Also for speed, 100-200 rapid arm reps, 3-4 sets, 5-6 striking techniques/session; legs consist of 50-100 rapid kicks without putting the foot down, 3-4 sets, 5 kicking techniques/session. Next, practice relaxing, concieving your appendage to move to a point in space, and watch it move to that point in space without you actually telling your muscles to move. The motion should be fast and effortless. Anyway, my $0.015 worth.

Tye, now I am noticing that the box size IS growing. Anyway, I lost the input of my last post.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #4 Posted at Wed May 5 21:11:09 2004 IP204.196.55.102 Unless your input box is different than mine, you should have scads of room (50000) characters to put in. Perhaps it's because you're a 'guest' and not actually logged in, but I don't think so - more likely it has to do with the input box not being fully loaded or some other web-quirk.

Sorry you lost all your post - that's a giant pain; I absolutely hate it when that happens to me every once in awhile on the web, so I can definitely relate. I'll double-check the settings and ensure there's at least a buffer of 50 thousand characters or more.

Ben Garcia

Reply #5 Posted at Thu May 6 15:16:20 2004 IP130.160.201.133 OK Mike, (it's alright if I call you Mike, isn't it?) you kind of lost me on that last point. Move your hand to a point without using your muscles. Hmmmmm.... Could you explain that one to me?

Thanks for the other stuff. I never thouhgt about alternating on a month time frame....

Dan N

Reply #6 Posted at Thu May 6 15:29:38 2004 IP165.91.177.45 Man Ben...that's Dr. Guro Hume....geez no respect! tongue

Ben Garcia

Reply #7 Posted at Thu May 6 17:18:44 2004 IP130.160.201.133 Ahhhhh, the H stands for HUME! Now i see! Dr. Mike, then?wink jk

Michael H

Reply #8 Posted at Thu May 6 18:01:11 2004 IP128.194.207.53 That's Dr. Michael, Ben: a.k.a. Dr. Gruo Michael. tongue

Anyway.... Fast kicking and punching (FKP) is not a matter of telling your muscle to move and then moving it. FKP is a matter of seeing (conception or visualization of the actuality) where you want to move your appendage and letting the brain/body do the rest. Carrying on a dialogue with yourself is slow; seeing and doing without thought is faster, a lot faster. So, stand in front of a mirror-while you are there, you may as well tell yourself how good looking you are and get it over with-relax and let your arms go completely slack, visualize your hand at a particular position in space and LET IT move there. The whole thing is sort of like a reflex action. The same game can be played with the feet. The key is to relax. If you are tense, you have to relax before you move, so you may as well start off with your muscles (body) in a relaxed state. Next, try multiple strikes at various levels. Hey, before long, you will be able to scratch your head and s*ck the thumb of the same hand at the same time.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Martial Arts General