applications to your moves

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

applications to your moves

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:19 pm

From the old boards...

Tye Botting
Administrator

Applications to your moves
Started at Wed May 5 20:10:11 2004 IP204.196.55.102 I'd like to start some discussion of applications and what you think about when working/developing them. As a starting point, please consider this brief and basic discusion I did on applications types, and give comments and feedback:

http://www.kungfu.cc/apps.shtml

I'll update that discussion with the best of what comes from this thread, if that's OK with everyone.

ArteXerxes

Re: Applications to your moves
Reply #1 Posted at Thu May 6 16:48:16 2004 IP68.84.86.140 For fun, I take the TKD poomse (Taeguk Il Jhong - Taeguk Pal Jhong) and lay them on the ground and do them. There are all sorts of similarities between ne waza (judo groundwork) and body position for TKD forms.

Let's take a downblock. In Taeguk Il Jhong, Tori turns 90 degrees to the left and does a low downblock (you know what this is right?). On the ground, let's put Tori in Uke's Sidemount (Uke is on top of Tori and on the left side). To escape, Tori must rotate 90 degrees to the left (get over on his hip) and bring his hand out rigidly and low to block Uke's hips from being able to follow Tori (as Tori will have just created negative space between him and Uke). The space that is thusly created between Uke and Tori now allows Tori a greater range of motion to escape.

The same can be done for any number of things with standing forms I believe.

How was that?

Arte

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #2 Posted at Fri May 7 01:20:11 2004 IP65.0.39.133 Y'know, I'm a big advocate of exactly what you're talking about, only standing up. Stick to someone while doing your form, even super-close, and see what you can apply right out of it. Strangely enough, it never occured to me to try to do the same thing on the ground - probably due to me not doing practically any groundwork. I'll have to try that, as I'm always up for more ways to extract cool and unexpected applications. Ya learn something new every day. Thanks, Arte!

BTW, going to a groundwork seminar weekend in about a week and definitely looking forward to catching some of the paradigm. The instructor is GM Ron Van Browning, who's trained the likes of Guy Metzer and many more, so it should be good stuff. I've worked with him before and he's a very good teacher, knows his stuff well, and uses a style of movement that blends with my own pretty darn well - probably due to his tons of San Soo background.

Mike Casto

Reply #3 Posted at Sat May 8 22:42:36 2004 IP68.210.170.35

On Wed May 5 20:10:11 2004, Tye Botting wrote: (read quoted post)I'd like to start some discussion of applications and what you think about when working/developing them. As a starting point, please consider this brief and basic discusion I did on applications types, and give comments and feedback:

http://www.kungfu.cc/apps.shtml

I'll update that discussion with the best of what comes from this thread, if that's OK with everyone.

Rather than retype my thoughts on this subject, check the article I wrote on it at my website: "Finding the Function - An Analysis of Form Exploration" at http://impactacademy.com/articles
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Martial Arts General