Good Kung Fu in Athens Georgia

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:21 pm

From the old boards...

Dan S

Started at Wed Apr 14 22:22:26 2004 IP204.210.96.119 Does anybody have any suggestions?

My little sister is looking to start some training to get in shape, get some of the mental focus/training. She saw a demo of a Kung Fu group in Atlanta (the description sounded sort of Wu Shuish to me, and they do lion and dragon dances, so it's probably pretty traditional) and they are sending some of their senior students out to Athens to start a school.

Her friend from the office is looking to do it as well, and there is some difference of opinion about how much contact they want (my sister isn't sure she wants any, and her friend has already bought sparring headgear and hand pads.)

I didn't immediatlly find any online resources for Kung Fu stuff in Athens, and The Itto guys looked like a good thing

http://www.ittodojo.com/new/index.php

and I think a Judo type deal might be better than traditional kung fu for my sister (based on her wanting to get "good" quickly, the hands on Judo applications start soon, where the balance, flexibility and strength to get "good" a kung fu take a while.) It might also help to keep her friend's interest in a contact sort of thing up, which might help stick to itness. I've pointed her at these forums, but I don't know if she's reading them yet, so I'll echo stuff on to her (or make her go look) if anybody has any suggestions.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Re: Good Kung Fu in Athens Georgia
Reply #1 Posted at Mon Apr 19 15:18:38 2004 IP204.196.55.102 Not sure how far Atlanta is, but Craig Kiessling is a longtime contributer to the kung fu list and has a school in Atlanta. ( http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/stepstoinsanity/bfu1.html )

This looks promising too (and while it's also based in Atlanta, they have a branch in Athens):
http://www.chienhong.com/

Not sure what to make of this one, but possibly worth a look (they have a branch in Athens, too):
http://www.shaolincenter.com/location/g ... eorgia.jsp

Dan S

Reply #2 Posted at Tue Apr 20 21:03:50 2004 IP204.210.96.119 So the bad news is, the Chien Hong We Guan school is not taking on new students, the Atlanta Shaolin Center branch is UGA based, and Carol is just a UGA graduate (job not UGA related, and no longer a student) and Atlanta is 1 hour 10 min away. Looks like she'll be trying the judo stuff.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #3 Posted at Tue Apr 20 21:17:55 2004 IP199.184.208.111 sad I can try emailing Craig directly, if you'd prefer, though I know it's quite a drive. Don't know the other guys.

Still, nothing wrong with a good judo place, and she may well get quite a workout - depends largely on the instructor. Most do have tough classes, if I'm remembering correctly.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #4 Posted at Tue Apr 20 21:27:01 2004 IP199.184.208.111 Just looked at the Itto dojo site... I notice they're affiliated with the Midori Yama Budokai. I've been to an MYB training camp, riding up there with Kyoshi Montoya and his students, meeting his teacher Kyoshi Terry Bryan. There have been some good people involved with them - Kyoshi Dan Kennedy, and Sensei Roger Greene to name a few. Like any org, there are some shining stars and some dufusses. One other thing is that they seem to be a home for orphaned stylists, and this tends to show in a bit of rank inflation, though that could just be my perception. Anyway, overall I was impressed and had a great time at their training camp. Kyoshi Montoya and I got to do some segments on Modern Arnis even. They seemed to be open-minded people with an interest in both the traditional material and making that material work.

Dan S

Re: Re: Good Kung Fu in Athens Georgia
Reply #5 Posted at Wed Apr 21 01:04:20 2004 IP204.210.96.119

On Tue Apr 20 21:17:55 2004, Tye Botting wrote: (read quoted post)sad I can try emailing Craig directly, if you'd prefer, though I know it's quite a drive. Don't know the other guys.

Still, nothing wrong with a good judo place, and she may well get quite a workout - depends largely on the instructor. Most do have tough classes, if I'm remembering correctly.

If Craig is looking at doing a branch in Athens that would be workable, if not, no worries. I think she'll be happy leanring a "judo chop!" or two.

ArteXerxes

Reply #6 Posted at Mon May 10 04:24:32 2004 IP68.84.86.140 I believe there are some good Brazillian Jujutsu schools in Athens Georgia and I know that there's a Straight Blast Gym there (The Hardcore Gym).

How far is Athen's from Atlanta as I know there are a lot of good grappling schools in Atlanta.

Arte
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Martial Arts General