What other martial art would you study?

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:43 pm

From the old boards...

ArteXerxes

Started at Wed Mar 3 14:43:37 2004 IP68.84.86.140 Hello everyone. Just stumbled upon your website. I have a few questions that I hope you don't mind answering, so here goes:

#1 If you couldn't take Kung Fu / Arnis, what other martial art would you study and why?

#2 In addition to Kung Fu / Arnis, what other martial art would you like to cross-train in and why?

Thanks for your indulgence, hope to hear from you soon!

Arte

D.P.

Re: What other martial art would you study?
Reply #1 Posted at Wed Mar 3 17:47:35 2004 IP207.230.138.240 I was taking Kung Fu until July when I moved to a different town. I have been taking Combat Hapkido since I moved here. Great system. Very "Real World" oriented. Check it out at www.ichf.com. Also, I had the opportunity to take Haganah, an Israeli martial art. Very fun and useful. I guess I would study Krav maga(another Israeli defense system) if I had the opportunity.

Dan N

Reply #2 Posted at Wed Mar 3 17:49:05 2004 IP165.91.177.45 I would definitely try and train in a more internal style. Hsing-I would be my first pick. It has a very strong emphasis on movement and power. My kind of martial art. My other choice would probably be Tai Chi. Even though it is a softer looking style, don't be fooled. It packs a lot of power. So, obviously my reason for studying either would be to work and refine my power generation skills.

Dan S

Reply #3 Posted at Wed Mar 3 23:05:23 2004 IP204.210.96.119 I sort of kick around the idea of Kendo and/or judo
every now and then. I'm not sure how well my body would take the punishment now that I'm hitting the late thirties. Light contact sparring is nice, and medium to heavy pads are nice, but I'd like to do something where the grips, power, and contact
agility could be exercised.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #4 Posted at Wed Mar 3 23:44:40 2004 IP204.196.55.102

On Wed Mar 3 14:43:37 2004, ArteXerxes wrote: (read quoted post)#1 If you couldn't take Kung Fu / Arnis, what other martial art would you study and why?

#2 In addition to Kung Fu / Arnis, what other martial art would you like to cross-train in and why?

Hi Arte! Thanks for dropping by and joining in. I read a few of the responses and as expected, most people have varied preferences.

I was just thinking that your two questions aren't exactly the same - I mean, your choices might be different depending on if you could continue in your current school/training/style(s) or not.

For myself, if I had to give up my style of Kung Fu, Yang style Taijiquan, and Modern Arnis, and go for a single other art, it'd probably have to be complete and traditional Xingyi (or Chen style Taijiquan), including weapons and of course taught martially. I like the power generation, movement, and it's strategies and 'feel' seem like something I could enjoy for quite some time. Or, perhaps Hung Gar Kung Fu, for some of the same reasons; plus I always had a soft spot for that style since it was what I first started training in when I lived in Malaysia.

If I were to add to my current training and just cross-train, I'd probably keep the Aikido I just added, but I'd also like to add ground grappling of the type that Ron Van Browning does - it seems to suit me better than the (limited) BJJ I've been exposed to, and I'm not familiar with the other ground grappling or MMA styles. The why of it is two-fold; I recognize my lack of purly ground skills and I just think knowing that kind of material would be nifty. wink

Furthermore, these answers of course assume a good, knowledgable and able teacher - something _not_ the most readily available.

ArteXerxes

Reply #5 Posted at Thu Mar 4 15:01:48 2004 IP68.84.86.140 >>> I was just thinking that your two questions aren't exactly the same - I mean, your choices might be different depending on if you could continue in your current school/training/style(s) or not. <<<

Well, I was mainly assuming that you liked your previous styles, but that they no longer existed. Sort of like a Utopia where you move to a new city and they offere every martial art in the world except the style you did before.

>>> ... I'd also like to add ground grappling of the type that Ron Van Browning does - it seems to suit me better than the (limited) BJJ I've been exposed to... <<<

I do not know Ron Van Browning, what kind of stuff does he do? What BJJ have you been exposed too?

>>> The why of it is two-fold; I recognize my lack of purly ground skills and I just think knowing that kind of material would be nifty. <<<

Nifty's probably the best way to describe it happy

>>> Furthermore, these answers of course assume a good, knowledgable and able teacher - something _not_ the most readily available. <<<

Of course. I was assuming that all the teachers would be competent. If I found a Soto Kyudo school that was being run by Roshi Joe Bob I'd definitely look more than once at his credits as a Kyudoka, as a priest, and at his legitimate lineage. The teacher makes the style.

Arte

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #6 Posted at Thu Mar 4 20:15:05 2004 IP199.184.208.111 Yep, 'swhat I figured you meant.

Ron Van Browning is a longtime MA'er who came up in San Soo circles (to 9th dan under Jimmy Woo, but now he downplays that part of his past though I'm sure it had lots to do with his current skills), but now teaches MMA, even to some big names. I suppose I click with him due to both his sense of humor and his kind of kung-fuey take on MMA - something for me to connect with as he explains things. And he's quite impressive with the ease and effectiveness with which he does things - he visited the last Modern Arnis camp I was in last month and brought a young, up-and-coming MMA fighter that he was starting to train and both were quite impressive. I think you'd like him, especially if you rolled with him.

As for my BJJ exposure, it's just 3rd-hand, through people who've trained with BJJ'ers and come and played and showed a bit. Nothing major, but I just didn't have the connection with them that I get from Ron. Kind of a visceral thing - it may just be the person rather than the material; I dunno. In any case, I'm going to a seminar of Ron's in Houston in a couple of months and I'll be able to tell you more.

Again, Arte, glad to have you here. You should register, though, so you can do more things.

Ben

Reply #7 Posted at Fri Mar 5 20:32:12 2004 IP130.160.200.115 I'm all about the Chan style Tai Chi Chuan. That stuff is amazing to me, the focus, the power generation, grounding. Punching and kicking can be taught by any old style, and even joint locks and throws are found in a variety of styles. As far as power generation and grounding, though, maybe only hsing-i can compare (or ba gua).

thunder1111

Reply #8 Posted at Sun Mar 7 17:41:02 2004 IP68.42.185.195 I don't study Kung Fu / Arnis, but I would try it. I would also study Aikido, Wing Chun, and Tai Chi - if time, good intruction and money permitted.

Tauhid

Reply #9 Posted at Sun Mar 7 19:33:09 2004 IP4.34.133.230 Hi there, I haven't posted here in a while

As everyone in Sifu Botting's class may already know, if I had the time and money, I would study the bajiquan/piquazhang system. I'm mainly attracted by the way it generates internal power. From what I understand, this style isn't that well known but there are at least 3 places that I know that teach this style, and they're all from the same source

barr

Reply #10 Posted at Wed Mar 10 15:27:22 2004 IP199.216.246.56 I would for sure do Aikido and Iado/bokken training. I love learning about old samurai history and so I would do other things related to that I guess.

Since this is a Kung Fu site, I also have wanted to look into what inspired Bruce Lee so much. (I know it's not the same style!)

Chris Rivers

Reply #11 Posted at Thu Mar 11 18:29:22 2004 IP152.163.253.100 Ninjutsu! and More Capoeira!

SWARMY WAS HERE!

Fire and Rain

Reply #12 Posted at Fri Jun 18 23:20:02 2004 IP24.175.151.195

On Wed Mar 3 14:43:37 2004, ArteXerxes wrote: (read quoted post)#1 If you couldn't take Kung Fu / Arnis, what other martial art would you study and why?

Hmm. Well, for me, I'm applying the question to my current style, KSW instead.

I'd either pick up Choy Li Fut where I left off last summer, along with Pekiti Tirsia Kali to cover weapons and closer ranges, or . . . I dunno. If I could find a really martial and authentic TCC instructor, I'd love to look into that, but more as a curiosity than a permanent love.

On Wed Mar 3 14:43:37 2004, ArteXerxes wrote: (read quoted post)#2 In addition to Kung Fu / Arnis, what other martial art would you like to cross-train in and why?

Again, changing to adapt to my KSW.

Probably some BJJ or ground-focused Judo, because I enjoy the ground game as a game, rather than a fighting habit, per se.

For the other, a really rough-and-tumble boxing or kickboxing gym. I need the contact, and I'd be forced to take it, and take it regularly, if I found such a school.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Martial Arts General