Where do I go to learn?

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

Where do I go to learn?

Postby jalanzak » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:37 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to learn a martial arts, specifically Kung Fu or Muay Thai. I was wondering if anyone could tell me of someone or somewhere I could learn Kung Fu or Muay Thai in College Station or Bryan, Texas.

Thanks.

-Jared-
jalanzak

Postby BenGarcia » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:17 pm

Did you go to the TKF webpage? If you just click on the mantis link in the upper left...
BenGarcia

Times

Postby jalanzak » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:27 pm

Are the times the same as what it says on the website? the same days as well?
jalanzak

Postby jalanzak » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Nvm i see the times.
jalanzak

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:53 am

Hrmmm, not sure what the state of classes are right now. Both of the people I left running things when I moved to Louisiana have since moved (well one is training in China for a year, and the other's moved to Minnesota). The first one is back for a couple more weeks before going back to China, but I'm betting he's not holding classes.

The only other people I recommend in town are Raymond Montoya (okinawan shorin kempo, kobudo, and modern arnis), Dr. Michael Hume (modern arnis and tae kwon do), and Arthur Murray if you want MMA-type stuff (if he's still teaching).

You might also check the TAMU student organizations - there may have been some new clubs crop up in the last couple of years.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby R O Dubl S » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:42 pm

According to Marc, Sifu Rivers is still holding classes, but not at Montoya's. They are working out of some park on Tues, Thurs, and Sundays still. I haven't made it to a class yet though b/c I am still getting used to my new job as an RA. If you want some more information, and are serious about it, PM me and I can give you my phone number and hook you up with the right people.
Ross Robinson
Proudest Member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o 2007! A Whoop!
R O Dubl S

Postby jalanzak » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:50 pm

I looked at some of the different martial arts clubs at A&M and decided to join the Shokotan Karate one.

Is it possible to learn more than one type of martial arts at a time?

Because if it is...I would still like to learn Kung Fu.

Oh and what is PM?
jalanzak

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:23 pm

PM is private message. The PM button is right at the bottom of each message.

Congrats on finding a club! And yep, you can learn more than one at a time, but it can be difficult if the styles are too similar or too dissimilar and if the instructor(s) don't understand the other style you're training in. Best solution is to take multiple styles from the same teacher if you can find one that is qualified. I've taught several students kung fu and arnis at the same time, in different classes since the power generation and quality of movement is so different.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby jalanzak » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:32 pm

Alright. So it sounds like i can take karate and Kung Fu at the same time even though it will be from different instructors. It might just be more difficult.

I'l try it out then, because I really wanted to learn Kung Fu, mostly for fun.
jalanzak

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:47 pm

You could indeed. And it would most likely be difficult. ;-)

I meant to add that it is also generally recommended to not train multiple styles at once unless you are fairly advanced in one style already. By then you will have learned how to learn, and will more likely catch the myriad non-verbal things taught/shown - the details that make each style unique.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby jalanzak » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:55 pm

Oh ok, then I should wait. I just started Karate and the teacher won't be the same for Kung Fu.
jalanzak

Postby BenGarcia » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:02 am

Wait wait wait....so Chris is training in China, now?! When did this happen? (I assume Dan is the one in Minnesota; sorry Dan, I just don't see you going to China just to train ;) ) Where have I been?!

Oh yeah, Alabama.
BenGarcia

Postby R O Dubl S » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:33 pm

Well he was in China, but hes back in CS for a little bit, and then he is going back to China in October I think, for a year.
Ross Robinson
Proudest Member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o 2007! A Whoop!
R O Dubl S

Return to Martial Arts General