Introductions

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

Introductions

Postby Tye Botting » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:30 pm

This would be a good place for folks to introduce themselves. Please feel free to say hi and tell us about your training and yourself.

{ If you want my intro, the easiest blurb I can give is my MA background at http://www.kungfu.cc/instr.shtml }
Last edited by Tye Botting on Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Shadowstreak » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:45 am

Hiya.

Name's Geoff Rogers. My background is primarily Hung Gar, with emphasis on Tsui Pa Hsien (Drunk Eight Immortals), and a whole bunch of other crud thrown in. Currently I don't train under anyone, and I run About.com's Martial Arts website, and have a couple of casual students.

I'm thinking of checking out a Judo club here though...
Shadowstreak

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:15 pm

From the old boards...

ArteXerxes

Re: Introductions
Reply #1 Posted at Thu Mar 4 23:25:27 2004 IP68.84.86.140 Ok, so I finally signed up happy

About me? Alright, well here goes: I've been doing Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and Judo for about 6 years now. Got about 3 years of Inayan Eskrima in me also. Smattering of Sambo, Isshin-Ryu, and some other things that are pretty unsundry. Been training and teaching MMA for about 3 or 4 years now (probably closer to 3). Lastly, I have a little martial arts school in Knoxville, Tennessee with about 10 members.

Question: How on earth did I end up on this Kung Fu forum? Answer: Tye.

I think that covers all the important stuff...

Arte

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #2 Posted at Fri Mar 5 01:57:46 2004
Last Modified at Fri Mar 5 01:59:41 2004 by Tye Botting IP66.157.164.126 wink I'm always amazed at how much you've been exposed to over the years. Still would love to get more out of you on the mat sometime - hence I'm looking forward to this Fall's Fest. I'm hoping I can convince Dan N to come out there with me, and maybe Chris R and maybe even my wife.

Thanks for the intro - short, sweet, and to the point. Oh, and BTW, this is not just a kungfooey discussion board. In fact, we're in the general martial arts section right now - right now there's more fu'ers on than not, but I'm hoping that others will join us here in the general section and discuss all MA. TMA, MMA, sport, s-d, eastern, western, whatever...

[PS, hope you don't mind the avatar I gave you - I figure you'd probably have chosen either that one, the devil-boy one, or perhaps the rabbit; feel free to change it how you like, or even supply your own.]

Dan N

Reply #3 Posted at Fri Mar 5 14:47:59 2004 IP165.91.177.45 Hi everyone, my name is Dan and I am a kung-fu-aholic. (No intervention required-you'll never break me of this habit!)

My training is almost exclusively with Sifu Botting in N. Shaoling/N. Praying Mantis with some exposure to other styles based on optional material Tye has shown me. Also I have the wonderful cross-pollination of Modern Arnis from both Tye and Dr. Hume...just can't get enough of it either. I had a little exposure to San Soo before this, but my heart is in these two styles. Recently, I have received some training in Yang style Tai Chi...I love it. The movement is exact, the power is there and it is a challenge. Thanks a million Tye!

Ben Garcia

Reply #4 Posted at Fri Mar 5 20:44:07 2004 IP130.160.200.115 OK, my turn: Well, the bulk of my experience has been under Tye in Northern Shaolin/Preying Mantis kung fu. Tuscaloosa isn't really conducive to any Chinese martial arts, so I haven't really done much else. I've been exposed to a smattering of Yang style Tai Chi, some with Tye and some without. I learned a 47-movement form recently and have been doing that on my own.

I promise, I'm not bias against non-Chinese MA's, I just think that I would like to get a little further before I try something else. Actually, combat Akido or Hapkido would be really awesome...

Dan S

Reply #5 Posted at Sat Mar 6 03:10:23 2004 IP204.210.96.119
First style, 5 or six years of N. Shaolin/N. Praying Mantis, courtesy of Tye B., John Paulson, Able Martinez. Some kubodo stuff with Mr. Montoya.
Some Modern Arnis (Tye, and Dr. Hume.) Some assistant type teaching.

Second style, 2 years of Hun Gar/Choi Li Fut via
Eugen Ho at Kong's Siu Lum Pai. Some knowldgeable student type teaching.

Lots of informal Tae Kwan Do (John in Texas,
and Phong at Kong's Siu Lum Pai.)

Ride the Marlin!

Michael

Reply #6 Posted at Sat Mar 6 05:35:14 2004 IP63.195.58.16 My name, is Michael, and I, am a martial arts addict...

Please help me.

I began my explorations nearly 25 years ago, before the Power Rangers, long before the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I wanted to be Bruce Lee.

Unfortunately, there were no Wing Chun teachers in the area I knew of, nor any JKD players. And since I was a minor at the time, my father first got me interested in his Masutatsu Oyama first printing of This is Karate. I spent many an afternoon trying to imitate the contortionist-like poses that seemed to do more damage to the other person than the one applying them, so I was hooked. Little did I know it was a prelude for my parents sending me off to the day-care center they called the Dojo, which was a 2-hour bus-ride, one way, so I could spend an additional 3 hours training, then hope they were there to take me back home, otherwise, another hour and an half bus-ride back. And that went on for 3 years, until the end of high school.

Since then, I was supposed to have grown up (having graduated from high school) and had to find a way to pay for my own classes. And since I was an uneducated bum, I enlisted and took my chances in the army for the next couple of decades, which took me from one style to the next, being treated as the little red-headed step-child picking up scraps in one part of the world to the next.

Most of those styles had names I could hardly pronounce, let alone spell, such as JKA/SKIF shotokan, Renshinkan Shorinji, West Coast TKD, American Kenpo, WTF TKD, wushu, DKV shotokan, Pekiti Tirsia, ChiSim Ving Tsun, Yammanne Ryu Bojutsu, Gerakan Suci Silat, Kyokushin, Inayan Eskrima. Something like that. And yes, I did all this by pulling the names off of Google, heh heh.

I came HERE because Doc T twisted my arm in one of his mysterious ways. I see that Arte is also here, ready to pounce off of the corners, the evil barstard.

I'm feeling very, very scared here.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #7 Posted at Sat Mar 6 06:21:46 2004
Last Modified at Sat Mar 6 06:25:38 2004 by Tye Botting IP66.157.164.126 Chaaya! Yep, I'm calling in the heavy-hitters. happy Dang, I had forgotten how much you've done over the decades as well. Actually, not sure I knew of all that that - though I knew I was seeing some serious skill. I wish I had crossed arms with you more at KFest 2, but yer dang knee got in the way (which I hope is doing better after your recent re-tweaking). This next Fest then, I guess.

I'm hoping my students can get some of your guys' viewpoints for a bigger picture on training and MA in general. Guys, I'd recommend you listen to anything Mike and Arte say (well, anything to do with MA anyway... *grin*).

Thanks for giving in and coming by here, Chaaya - definitely good to see you and Arte in my "home" as it were.

Geoff Rogers

Reply #8 Posted at Sat Mar 6 08:37:54 2004 IP203.59.200.53 Hiya folks,

I'm Geoff Rogers, I run a site about martial arts for About.com, have been studying the stuff in various ways for so long I don't think I can think about anything without relating back to the MA's...

I don't do a great deal of real training these days, because things just keep getting in the way, but that's life. I'm here at the kind request of Tye, and I see a few familiar folk are here before me.

Hey Tye: you might want to look at the idea of setting it up so the post someone is replying directly to is visible when replying... otherwise, folk may well tend to lose track. Just a thought. Thanks for the invite.

-Geoff

Tye Botting
Administrator

Re: Re: Introductions
Reply #9 Posted at Sun Mar 7 16:35:54 2004 IP66.157.164.126 Hi Geoff! Good to see you here. Feel free to have this be a "home away from home", as it were. That way we can interact with you less as a moderator than we do now. I know we've all missed you on the other Delphi forums. Anyway thanks for dropping by and adding. It's difficult to grow a new forum, but I thought I'd go ahead and try, as a way to at least get some of my students out into the 'big, wide world', so to speak.

On Sat Mar 6 08:37:54 2004, Geoff Rogers wrote: (read quoted post)Hey Tye: you might want to look at the idea of setting it up so the post someone is replying directly to is visible when replying... otherwise, folk may well tend to lose track. Just a thought.

Yep, that bugged me too - I'm looking at ways of doing that, but it'll take a bit of reprogramming the source.

thunder1111

Reply #10 Posted at Sun Mar 7 17:38:53 2004 IP68.42.185.195 Hi,

I took a Moo Sool Do intro class, it was supposed to be just for the summer - for fun. That was almost 7 years ago and I am still at it. I guess, I just like to hit stuff happy

Diana

Tauhid

Reply #11 Posted at Sun Mar 7 19:42:11 2004 IP4.34.133.230 Late intro...

My name is Tauhid; currently the only style I've practiced is the Northern Shaolin/Praying mantis style under Tye. And maybe a bit of Arnis here and there that he sometimes show me.

I've been learning kungfu for 4 years, never did anything before that, not even sports; well, maybe a bit of 'Merpati Putih', a form of silat and 6 months of Kendo in Indonesia.

If any of you guys have done silat before, let's discuss it in a new thread thx

barr

Reply #12 Posted at Tue Mar 9 18:54:59 2004
Last Modified at Sun Mar 14 21:08:13 2004 by barr IP199.216.246.56 Hello All. I was invited here by Ty and I thought I would join and offer some views of a non Kung Fu practitioner.

I am 1st Dan BLack belt in GoJu Ryu/Kai karate and have been training for 17 years, the first 10 under 2 fifth dan black belts. The last 7 have been with my own club as I moved away from the area I learned in. My club has between 20 and 30 students ranging from beginners to brown belt.

I find teaching Martial arts very rewarding. I do not charge for my lessons, which is a traditional way to teach karate. I am a Vice Principal and have the luxury of being able to get my gymnasium twice a week for free. Students only pay for their own uniforms and testing fees ($20 - $25 for the first person and then half price for the rest of the family) My club has a very family like atmosphere, with most of the class being students in school still, grades 5 -12, but I also have a handful of adults as well.

I have also trained in the bokken for two years and done minimal ground training. I am always looking for that new thing to share with my students that will help them be more prepared for any attack. I really like ground fighting, but with were I am, new training is hard to come by.

I have a wonderful wife and two kids(under the age of 3) that support my addiction to martial arts.

I look forward to reading about kung fu and giving you a perspective that is not from that area of training.

Cheers,

Scott Barr

Mike Casto

Reply #13 Posted at Tue Mar 9 19:10:52 2004 IP68.18.65.185 Hi all.

My name is Mike Casto. I've known Tye online for several years and had the pleasure of meeting and working with him briefly a couple of years back - and look forward to the next time.

By way of introduction, it's easiest for me to just direct you to my website at http://impactacademy.com - that saves me a lot of typing wink

I just wanted to drop in and say "hi." I'm in the midst of a lot of traveling and training so won't be around much for a while but, as Arnold says, "I'll be back."

Mike

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #14 Posted at Tue Mar 9 19:58:41 2004
Last Modified at Tue Mar 9 20:05:20 2004 by Tye Botting IP199.184.208.111 Diana, Tauhid, Barr, and Mike Casto - I'm more than glad to have each of you here. Welcome! I'm definitely looking forward to your inputs here; should make for some good content indeed.

Diana, glad you joined us here - I know, a new place for you to get distracted with. I'm glad to see you here and looking forward to trading punches at the next Fest! Or at least train with you a bit more than we were able to last time we met (my gimpy wrist and your knee I think).

Tauhid, it's nice to see into your MA mind after having you train w/ me for years now. As Professor Presas would say, "you got it, baby."

Barr, it'll be nice to get to know you in a totally different venue than another shared interest we have (www.etapout.com). Kind of novel, actually - glad you took me up on the invite!

Mike C - what can I say? I should mention that it was actually my pleasure to meet and train with you briefly, not the other way around. wink I look forward to more visiting and MA sharing this fall (I wonder, do I need to re-re-reconfirm with Prof. Lansdale that I'll do a segment or two?). And my students concur - in fact, at the last camp I was unable to attend, you got to meet with and train w/ my other two advanced students, Chris and Tauhid. They were very impressed with you and with Prof. Lansdale's people, and they enjoyed the camp immensely.

kai-man

Reply #15 Posted at Wed Mar 10 23:37:48 2004 IP10.1.20.45 I am kai.
Won't elaborate much other than i remember feeling as though i were Tye's personal Uke at timesgrin

Various stuff here and there but influenced mainly by Tye @ TKF
and some Jiyushinkai Aikibudo

Was fortunate to attend a couple of seminars with Remy P when he was around too....
coolio.

Nice to meet everyone!
-k

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #16 Posted at Wed Mar 10 23:47:12 2004 IP204.196.55.102 Kai! Good to see you here, my friend. Hope you get to feeling both nostalgic and welcome here. I know a few of us that remember you definitely are looking forward to you being at the camput in April. And I promise not to make you my uke too much - I'm guessing your conditioning might be a bit out of practice (though by the way you got tackled in the XMas vid, I could certainly be wrong - that was an impressive hit!).

Geoff Rogers

Reply #17 Posted at Thu Mar 11 12:24:40 2004 IP203.59.202.104

Yep, that bugged me too - I'm looking at ways of doing that, but it'll take a bit of reprogramming the source.

In the meantime, those who are using MSE can hold down Shift while clicking on the "Reply" link. You get a new window, but it does mean that you get to refer back to what you're replying to.

Hey Tye, can we swear here? happy

-Geoff

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #18 Posted at Thu Mar 11 13:24:51 2004
Last Modified at Thu Mar 11 13:25:43 2004 by Tye Botting IP199.184.208.111

On Thu Mar 11 12:24:40 2004, Geoff Rogers wrote: (read quoted post)In the meantime, those who are using MSE can hold down Shift while clicking on the "Reply" link. You get a new window, but it does mean that you get to refer back to what you're replying to.

You can also reply by clicking on the Quote command like I did here.

If you swear here, it gets filtered or transmogrified. I'd prefer it if people didn't though.

Chris Rivers

Reply #19 Posted at Thu Mar 11 18:06:50 2004 IP152.163.253.100 Finally, I'm coming into the 21st. century!
My first forum post-I hope it's gentle.
I'm chris Rivers. I love the martial arts! All kinds. I have studied TKD, Jiu Jitsu, Thai Boxing, Capoeira and Kung Fu. Mostly Kung Fu. So far it's my favorite. I have been a student of Sifu Botting for ... ... Since April-99, however long that is. Currently Dan and I do our best to uphold the legacy of teaching excellence that our school has enjoyed for so long under Tye. (It's a large shadow to walk in). That is all., Thank you.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:18 pm

Page 2 from the old boards...

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #20 Posted at Thu Mar 11 19:58:42 2004 IP199.184.208.111 Chris, glad you gave in and joined us too! That 21st century stuff's rough, ain't it. wink Anyway, welcome - looking forward to your input and participation for sure.

And no need to lay it on so thick - regardless, you'd still be welcomed here and out to monthly instructor training, and you're still my top active student - imagine that! BTW, I think you and Dan are doing a bang-up job with the school since I've moveed, and I couldn't be happier. I'm looking forward to seeing how people have come along when I come down for the pre-test.

Chester

Reply #21 Posted at Thu Mar 11 22:45:57 2004 IP24.126.61.242 Hi guys. My name's Chester and I primarily study praying mantis and a shaolin style pretty similar to Tye's from what I can see on his website.

Our curriculum also includes Ba So, Chin Kang Chuan, and Wu Hu Chuan. No Hei Mau Chuan that I know of but there is a Hei Hu Chuan in what I train. It'd be interesting to explore the connection!

This seems like a friendly and open-minded board and I look forward to joining the discussion to come~

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #22 Posted at Fri Mar 12 02:00:48 2004 IP66.157.164.126 Welcome, Chester! It's always interesting to hear from styles which have some of the same material. I'd love to compare notes sometime! Please feel free to tell us about your style or post links, as it sounds like we may have interesting links between our styles back in the day.

Geronimo

Reply #23 Posted at Fri Mar 12 02:27:30 2004 IP4.10.162.227 Egads! Tye, Kai, and many other strange names. Rivers and Nolan: Glad to see you're still around; would love to get together with you guys again one day...however, not today. I posted on other stuff but it seems the big boys are here.

Tye buddy...may yet check out your new place sometime this summer. Make room for me, will ya!

DGE

In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Geoff Rogers

Re: Re: Re: Introductions
Reply #24 Posted at Fri Mar 12 14:50:26 2004 IP203.59.206.138

QuoteIn the meantime, those who are using MSE can hold down Shift while clicking on the "Reply" link. You get a new window, but it does mean that you get to refer back to what you're replying to.

You can also reply by clicking on the Quote command like I did here.

If you swear here, it gets filtered or transmogrified. I'd prefer it if people didn't though.

Righto then, shall try to avoid swearing.

-Geoff

joy chaudhuri

Reply #25 Posted at Fri Mar 12 15:27:18 2004 IP65.101.60.50 Hi-I am not very tech savy-usually goof up on instructions.Kudos to Tye for his long support for the
Kung Fu list.
I am unsure as to what i am doing here on this list- just being supportive of Tye.
I am originally from India and until recent achievement of Professor Emeritus status I have been an academic.
I have always been interested in a wide spectrum of martial arts. Since 1976 Wing Chun is my main art. I teach wing chun in Tempe, Arizona. My sifu is Augustine Fong of Tucson, Arizona.

Good wishes for good discussions.
joy Chaudhuri
www.azwingchun.com

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #26 Posted at Fri Mar 12 17:24:37 2004 IP66.157.164.126 Joy! Very glad you stopped by and checked our little forum out. Rest assured the kung fu list will continue to go on and on - it's not going anywhere. I just wanted another area where those that prefer web communication can do that, as well. Plus I can have a section where I can communicate with my students. Now that I've moved away, good communication with them via the Net becomes important.

Anyway, welcome again, and hopefully you'll find something interesting to join in on in the TCMA forum (or elsewhere).

I know I'd like to hear more about Fong Sifu's take on Wing Chun - I've not crossed hands with any from his line, having only worked with a Wang Kiu person (more on the soft side) and seen other lineage people (not sure which, but they were pretty hard/muscular). So, if you feel like it, I know I'd like to hear how you break down the curriculum and such and how you think it compares with the other lineages in its emphases.

Chris Rivers

Reply #27 Posted at Fri Mar 12 23:34:40 2004 IP152.163.253.100 Who is this Geronimo guy...he seems to know me?
Uh, it would be good to see you again too...it's been so long...wink

SWARMY WAS HERE!

Mike Casto

Reply #28 Posted at Mon Mar 22 13:29:14 2004 IP68.210.132.101

On Fri Jun 18 20:47:48 2004, Tye Botting wrote: (read quoted post)Mike C - what can I say? I should mention that it was actually my pleasure to meet and train with you briefly, not the other way around. wink I look forward to more visiting and MA sharing this fall (I wonder, do I need to re-re-reconfirm with Prof. Lansdale that I'll do a segment or two?). And my students concur - in fact, at the last camp I was unable to attend, you got to meet with and train w/ my other two advanced students, Chris and Tauhid. They were very impressed with you and with Prof. Lansdale's people, and they enjoyed the camp immensely.

Glad to hear it happy Yeah, you'll probably want to re-re-confirm with Prof. Lansdale. Better safe than sorry, eh?

Mike

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #29 Posted at Mon Mar 22 17:14:59 2004 IP204.196.55.102 Yup, I'll try to send him an email tonight...

Richard Rance

Reply #30 Posted at Sat May 29 22:32:15 2004 IP67.10.171.71 Hi. My name is Richard Rance and I have been studying Northern Shaolin/Northern Praying Mantis Kung fu Under Master Yun-Yang Wang for about 8 years and also Yang style tai Chi for 4 years. I have been exposed to Jeet kune do, Wing chun, Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu, Modern Arnis, and muay thai kickboxing as well.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #31 Posted at Sun May 30 05:17:02 2004 IP66.157.165.171 Welcome RR! So, you recovered from the Training Camp, eh? LOL! It was good to have you there and participating. I'm still thinking of having another one this Fall, but haven't set a date yet.

Fire and Rain

Reply #32 Posted at Fri Jun 18 15:17:37 2004
Last Modified at Fri Jun 18 15:34:43 2004 by Fire and Rain IP24.175.151.195 Editing: For clarity and more information, for those that don't know me.

I guess this would be the first place I'm supposed to post?

Hey Tye. I hope all is well with you?

Life's treating me ok. I'm back to KSW these days, and it's going, slowly but surely. I'm very, very, rusty though. happy

Wow2. . .you have a lot of
cool buttons
, don't you?

For those of you who haven't met me, or don't remember:

I'm 20, until last month I was a university student (yay for graduation), and my base style is a Korean Traditional Hybrid called Kuk Sool Won (Formerly the Kuk Sool Hapkido of the 50s, if you listen to the rumours). The style is very diverse and includes a lot of different elements, and is a mix of hard/soft with a focus on stand-up grappling (joint locks, throws, etc.) However my total training in KSW boils down to barely over a year, just stretched out across a four-year timespan, as I can only train there during the summers.

Last summer I was in Gainesville Florida and studied at the Gainesville Dojo. While there I studied Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Choi Li Fut KF.

Aside from that I've had a class or two in Shito Ryu Karate, Wadokai (Suenaka-ha Tetsugaku-ho) Aikido, Combat Hapkido, and Tae Kwon Do.

I know Tye from the Martialarts.about.com forum and from the associated annual Fests.

- Fire and Rain

Fire and Rain

Reply #33 Posted at Fri Jun 18 15:24:53 2004
Last Modified at Fri Jun 18 15:43:07 2004 by Fire and Rain IP24.175.151.195 Nevermind, what was in this post was already covered.

Instead, I'll apologize for that Garishly large logo I wanted to use as my sig, but it's four times the size I need it to be, and I don't have control over the height and width tags. . .

or do I?

Hang on a second.

Back. It didn't work. (sigh). Ohwell. Curse you, UBB codes! Heh. I guess it's the old harmony symbol for me after all.

- Fire and Rain

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #34 Posted at Fri Jun 18 20:47:48 2004 IP204.196.55.102 Welcome, Fire and Rain. wink Glad you finally dropped by. I think I noticed one of your logos that was perfect size, but whiechever one you want is fine.

Looking forward to some of your views on stuff here, or just MA stuff you want to talk about on your own. And we'll both be at the next Fest I think, right? This time I'm supposed to be bringing a student as well, assuming he's still up for it.

Fire and Rain

Reply #35 Posted at Fri Jun 18 21:26:48 2004 IP24.175.151.195

QuoteLooking forward to some of your views on stuff here, or just MA stuff you want to talk about on your own. And we'll both be at the next Fest I think, right? This time I'm supposed to be bringing a student as well, assuming he's still up for it.

Well, I'm looking forward to learning a lot and not having much to contribute, but hey, whatever works, right. wink

Yeah, I'm planning to be at the next fest, unless something goes massively wrong, I'll be there.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby R O Dubl S » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:38 am

Well, I posted my intro in a question about training, but I saw this and decided I would repost it here.

I am a sophomore accounting major at Texas A&M. My hometown is Beaumont, TX, which is on the gulf and near Louisianna. As far as a physical intro, I can give you my stats, I am 19 yrs old, 120 lbs., 5'8", skinny build with long legs. Kung Fu is the first Martial Art that I have ever taken, although I have been interested for years, but could never find a place I was comfortable with in my hometown. I have played many sports, mainly baseball (pitcher for 7 years), tennis, golf, and basketball.
Ross Robinson
Proudest Member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o 2007! A Whoop!
R O Dubl S

Postby clfsean » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:08 am

I'm Sean...

I currently study Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut in Atlanta. I've studied MA for about 24 years now & until the lower body gives up, I'm not!! :evil:
It's like they always say....

Waitaminute... what do they always say??
clfsean

Hi.........again

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:45 pm

Thought I'd give it a look in.

It looks good here, mind if I stay?

Want a proper intro?
"Men have been hitting each other in the face for as long as there have
been faces to hit, and if it wasn’t over this bone or that, then it was just for the fun of it. "
Tinkerbell

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:39 pm

Hi Tink! You are more than welcome here as is everyone feeling disenfranchised. You've got my vouch, but I'd love folks to get to know who you are, so if you feel like it sometime a real intro would be cool - or you can just point to your background on the Delphi MA forum if ya like.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:34 am

Yeah, with a bit of luck it'll sort itself out over there ....soon.

Ummm, me?

One time powerlifter (600, 385, 520 at 230 all unofficial).
I do an odd form of kickboxing based on a very traditional form of TKD. The organisation I belong to split form the main body due to its being overly sport oriented (well, the style of the sport it was following) and wanted to keep the tougher, more applicable form of the art going. They started a kickboxing group some years ago that while many of them competed, self defence and a more MA style of the sport was developed into what is now something like a cross between TKD and boxing with a heavy self-defence orientation. It's pretty brutal and I recently attained black sash in it, being one of only about a dozen or so to get this far. I've taken my training into the ring and although I've not been too successful it certainly holds its own.

I do some boxing now and then too, when I have the chance.

Right now I'm looking at going on further with the TKD side. (notice too, that as a TKD practitioner I'm getting good at apologetics :-)

I also have my second kyu in judo, which I took up because of the lack of clinching and ground work in my main style. I seem more suited to it, but it's too comp' oriented for me, I need more.

I have a big interest in the internals, but alas, there's nowhere near me that teaches it, so I just read what I can and learn what I can about it.

Ummm.....dunno what else to add.....
"Men have been hitting each other in the face for as long as there have
been faces to hit, and if it wasn’t over this bone or that, then it was just for the fun of it. "
Tinkerbell

And another one from About....

Postby Rana Harmamelda » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:59 am

Good morning.

Rana Harmamelda from the about forums here. Been meaning to check this place out for a while, that was just the kicker to actually get me here. *grin*

My background -- started in high school wrestling, went to TKD and Tai chi in college, then TKD in law school, dropped that, picked up shotokan, dropped that, and now find myself doing Hontai-Yoshin Ryu jujutsu and, of all things, Tai chi again. Still hoping to get into Xingyi, my schedule has been conflicting with that for the last month, but it looks better now. So uh -- yeah, here I am. Gonna spend some time looking around the place, look forward to checking this place out here.

And for you about-types -- the spell checker suggested I insert 'marmalade' where 'Harmamelda' is. *grin*
Matthew

"Everything you want is not everything you need"
Rana Harmamelda

Postby Tye Botting » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:15 am

Welcome, Matt! And after the KFest I met you at, I was finally able to pronounce your about login name 'ranaharmamelda' - kinda like marmalade mixed with anaranjada. ;-)
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby jpark » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:35 pm

hi all

my name is Jay Park. i live in florida, and i enjoy practicing and discussing the martial arts. i have studied taekwondo (original and olympic) and crossed trained in shotokan and kyokushin-kai karate for 12 years. my training now is...inconsistant (largley due to school, so no bad feelings), but i hope to start training seriously again soon. the past couple years i've slowly been learning long fist and wing chun kung fu, and i trained for a short period in the wah lum praying mantis system. other than self-defense, i have a particular interest in the philosophical and historical aspects of the martial arts. i look forward to some good discussions!
jpark

Postby Gator » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:51 am

My name is Mike, primarily known as nhbmma on most sites or Gator on etap. I’m 43 and haven’t trained since Jr. High Wrestling and karate in college. I was heavily involved in bodybuilding from 1976-1996 though.

My daughter is 9 and a green belt in jj. My son is 11 and has been wrestling since he was 6. He is a jj red belt. He has a good shot at winning the youth wrestling county championships this year and I would be stunned if he did not qualify for the NY State Youth Wrestling Championship (top 6 in the county qualify). This past March he placed 2nd in the NY State Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation Championships. He lost to Fabio Clemente’s kid in the finals. Tough loss, he got underhooks and a nice take down and before I could yell way to go, he was caught in a triangle. For those of you who don’t know Fabio Clemented, this is his site. He is a very nice man, who needs to update his site.

www.newyorkjj.com
Gator
Contributor

Postby Tye Botting » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:53 am

Awesome, Mike - I didn't know all that. Good to have you here, and BTW check the forum index for eTap stuff. Good luck with your kids' training and competing. I can't wait to get my son in to it, but that'll be years down the road. I've just started my daughter in earnest this summer and she's still warming up to it - she likes the Arnis more than the kung fu, not surprisingly. ;-)
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby BenGarcia » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:11 pm

Y'know, knowing what I know now, I wish I had sacrificed a few meals a week so I could afford arnis lessons when I was still in BCS... :-(
BenGarcia

Next

Return to Martial Arts General