Speaking of Fo Chin

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

Speaking of Fo Chin

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:08 pm

From the old boards...

Dan S

Speaking of Fo Chin
Started at Wed Mar 10 01:35:21 2004 IP204.210.96.119 New form for me, and I'm trying to look for the applications of one of the moves.

At the third direction change there is a horse stance trap/lift/break, shift to cat with the sweep/throw, and another thowish or block strike transition to a heel stomp. The foot faces forward (like the circle from one of the advanced sword sets in TKF/Wong's stuff) but the torso motion is a lot like the sweep/throw from Ching Kang Chuen (which has the toes pointed to the side rather than out front.)

Is it cannonically more trap than sweep, a stomp for noise distraction, or one of the more decorative moves?

Tye Botting
Administrator

Re: Speaking of Fo Chin
Reply #1 Posted at Wed Mar 10 03:43:57 2004 IP66.157.164.126 Usually it's used as a heel strike to the opponent's instep combined with trapping the foot there, if there's a stomping motion at the same time, sometimes that's used in conjunction to attack a low sweep (esp. in Hung Gar) by getting above it and crushing it right as it goes by. It's also interpreted as both a cross-stomp and a stop-hit. If I could see it, I could give more input, but I'm sure you can figure out lots of ways to use it if you remember our 6 applications types and let it ferment a bit. Remember, it's sometimes useful to just do the exact motion at different ranges against an opponent and see what pops out - sometimes the applications are quite startling.

Dan N

Reply #2 Posted at Wed Mar 10 14:51:56 2004
Last Modified at Wed Mar 10 14:52:28 2004 by Dan N IP165.91.177.45

On Wed Mar 10 01:35:21 2004, Dan S wrote: (read quoted post)
At the third direction change there is a horse stance trap/lift/break, shift to cat with the sweep/throw, and another thowish or block strike transition to a heel stomp.

Dan if you don't mind elaborating, I have a question about this. Can you explain the movement from "shift to cat...to a heel stomp" in a little more detail? I'd definitely like to think about the use of this move, but the picture is a little unclear in my head robot

Dan S

Reply #3 Posted at Wed Mar 10 22:11:43 2004
Last Modified at Wed Mar 10 22:14:01 2004 by Dan S IP204.210.96.119 My imaginary how to get there. Start in horse. Throw left punch. Imagine evil bad guy blocking/grabing with left side. Circle punching hand, grab; pull to your shoulder while shifting to left forward stance while striking with right hand (full extention) to his extened elbow. Mantis grip elbow, pull back to your waist, while sweeping right foot forward to a cat stance (a lot like the dou shou sweep)
while taking the freebie left hand shot to his head (both hands traversed the body to your right side now, one holding a wrist.) Swing left hand out grab something, follow with right hand close behind (freebie hit or control lock), and stomp the left foot facing forward heel first, toes up (probably catching some foot as he gets dragged by.) I called it a cat because of the way the balance looked to me.

My imagination has the guy getting swept and dropped on your right side, and dragged around to your left for stomping.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Martial Arts General