Women self Defense Information

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

Women self Defense Information

Postby barr » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:36 pm

Hello all.

I am in the midst of organizing another ladies self defense course for my city. I have run many, but am always looking to add to my curriculum. I know this would be a great place to get unique ideas from you folks. So any links, books, videos, mpg. or whatever would be a big help.

Just love spicing up what I have already done.

Also, what is the going rate for Ladies self defense classes in your area. Mine is a 8-10 week course, once a week.

Thanks,

Scott
barr
Contributor

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:50 am

Hopefully more folks will add some stuff - this area is starting to get some tumbleweeds growing...

Anyway, what we always did in our single-shot seminars (different than a short course I know, but...) was a few things (many/most of which you probably already address, but since you asked...):

stress attitude, awareness, and available outs
    to not look/act the victim
      be confident
      know where you're going - go with a purpose
      use your command/Mom voice (amazing what that can accomplish!)
    to not ignore signs (and what to look for in predators)
    to always have a number of outs

And this was of course all before we ever got to the need for more confrontational self-defense. When that eventuality was reached, the focus was on a few things, like:
    Yell for help!
    Move!
    Positioning and leverage.
    Go for pain/release targets if you must strike.
    Don't fight the perp, get loose instead!
    Get out of dodge (not the time to try to "win" - you win by surviving)

For specifics along these lines, we taught simple things like angling for power disruption, using available weapons (purse, keys, heels, nails, walls, cars, doors, chairs, etc), DO SOMETHING (they want you to freeze, to be scared, to just take it).

Then of course we got to the techniques, which they all invariably want and which they all invariably will not practice no matter how much you tell them that if they don't they might as well not learn them in the first place. But we still do them, and we pick carefully chosen ones to illustrate leverage, releases, speed, and getting loose so they can go the other way. Things that don't take much strength, that gain immediate response or control. We don't teach a groin strike, as that's sometimes a sure way to get things escalated from simple robbery up to murder. And rather than releasing by strikes, we like to release by leverage so that they would-be perp doesn't feel they've lost nearly as much face - they tend to be less escalatory and more likely to simply be more hassle than it's worth rather than "now I've gotta punish this woman!"

Again, all this depends on the scenario, from robbery to abduction to rape it all varies as to what to emphasize. We try to put enough psychology in there so that we don't have them making things worse for themselves while at the same time hopefully drastically increasing their chances for escape without harm. Heck, for simple robbery at gunpoint, just give them the goods and let 'em go - it ain't worth your life. But if things are going to personal assault of some sort, more drastic measures are called for.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. I was assuming you were interested more in thoughts to help you focus, but we can certainly talk techniques and such if you like. Also, I'll look for links and other resources as soon as I can.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby barr » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:28 pm

A great start! I cover most of the same items. I agree, you show techniques that they then never practice, won't work.

I never thought of the leverage vs. strikes psychology, but it is a good point.

I agree, if they are attacking you defend, if they want your wallet, give it to them!

Any one else with some sure fire items. Techniques would be great. I will post some of mine as well.
barr
Contributor

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:45 pm

C'mon, guys n gals. Anyone have anything to add? Chris? Dan? Hume? Arte? Others?
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby barr » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm

Hello.....:smt100
barr
Contributor

Postby TKF_Dan » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:36 pm

So a lot of this is new to me...not the defense, but the situation. I could certainly come up with situational techniques, but I don't think that serves a good purpose. What I mean by that is the person will most likely freeze if something else happens to them(not the technique they learned). And the point about not practicing...disheartening. Seems like a real waste of time.

I am quite divided on this subject and Tye's points about psychology are insightful. I am proponent of pure brutality in a female/male defensive situation. But failure could result in something worse as Tye pointed out, the escalation of robbery to murder. Something I didn't think about personally. I don't really like to imagine what could happen if I am not successful in my defensive/offensive endeavors.

For me awareness is the single most important facet of not becoming a victim. You have to know what is going on around you and more importantly, who is around you. I'm going to continue thinking on this and I will probably post more later.
TKF_Dan
Instructor

Postby barr » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:54 pm

I agree it is about your mind set, more than your skills.

If you look and act like a victim, that is what you become.

I am just seeking any techniques you folks know that are easily reproduced, can be done with little practice, and would add to the curriculum.

I am in agreement that without practice it is impossible to do a 'technique' on cue.

I too have subscribed in the past to the hit and don't stop hitting theory. Tye's post has changed that in me a little bit.
barr
Contributor

Postby Tye Botting » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:33 pm

There are some nice techniques that let folks release from simple grabs, and they all mainly amount to "do something, anything!" (just don't do it wrong...) ;-)

Here's some blurbs from a law enforcement seminar I gave in 2003 (some would still apply to your topic - LEO's don't like to practice either! :smt073 ):

Governing Principles
Keep it simple, stupid (KISS).
Do something.
Do not get stuck on executing a particular technique in the real world.
Keep a good base but disrupt their base.
Move!

Major Topics

- Obstruction Removal and Grab Reversal
dissolving grabs and locks, removing unwanted hands, and reversal
(if they have you, you have them)
- Weapon Retention
release or trap them to avoid losing control of the weapon, then counter
- Unarmed vs. Armed
knives, shivs, and other sharp weapons
clubs, sticks, and other blunt weapons
- Unconventional Weapons
anything can be a weapon: bodyparts, clothing, equipment, everyday items