Ground Fighting

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

Ground Fighting

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:11 pm

From the old boards...

barr

Ground fighting
Started at Sun Mar 14 21:00:27 2004 IP199.216.246.56 I am expanding my teaching, as always, and am looking for your best ground fighting technique. I find that unless you do ground fighting full out, you don't get the realism you need to know you are doing it correct.

So I am looking for some description of the technique, or a spot on the net I can get a look at it. I have around 5 years of my own personal ground training, as well as some BudoTi Jujitsu. But looking for much more......

I await any suggestions.......Cheers.

ArteXerxes

Re: Ground fighting
Reply #1 Posted at Mon Mar 15 05:40:20 2004
Last Modified at Mon Mar 15 05:41:11 2004 by ArteXerxes IP68.84.86.140 When you say ground fighting do you mean randori type stuff (free wrestling) or ground-and-pound type stuff?

I really like stick grapplers site (http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/) all sorts of stuff there, though I think there are some ground fighting things there as well.

Michael Jens has a fantastic membership policy from what I hear, even has some distance stuff so if you can't go to a formal school near your way, you can always join his distance learning program - his site is http://www.jenbjj.com/. For what it's worth Michael Jens is a BJJ bb under Joe Moerira (sp?) and from every single account of him I've ever heard an absolutely fantastic teacher.

Judoinfo is another good site, though it's of course Judo stuff.

You say favorite technique, whatcha mean by that? As in what's my favorite technique to get on people? That would be a mir lock from a German Uki Gatame. Or what's my most successful submission? Sangaku Ude Garami (aka the Omoplata). Or my favorite way to get into any of these submissions?

I'd like to know a little about your groundwork background. Maybe you could answer your own question(s) and then I'd have a template of how to answer best. happy

You say you have 5 years of a jujutsu ryu, what was the groundwork like? How technical was it? Did you find that you moved quickly from position to position, from submission opportunity to submission opportunity or you bogged down in holding someone in a position (guard, side mount, etc.) for what seemed like forever? Did the groundwork address strikes? Leg locks? Spine, face, and neck locks? Were all the submissions able to be applied in randori or were they of the shake-and-break variety where they were shown in class but never used?

Geez, lots of questions, sorry for the overload rolleyes

Alright, I'll hush now...

Arte

ArteXerxes

Re: Ground fighting
Reply #2 Posted at Thu Mar 18 15:40:42 2004 IP68.84.86.140 Did I run you off barr?

Arte

barr

Re: Re: Ground fighting
Reply #3 Posted at Thu Mar 18 18:58:34 2004 IP199.216.246.56

On Mon Mar 15 05:40:20 2004, ArteXerxes wrote: (read quoted post)You say you have 5 years of a jujutsu ryu, what was the groundwork like? How technical was it? Did you find that you moved quickly from position to position, from submission opportunity to submission opportunity or you bogged down in holding someone in a position (guard, side mount, etc.) for what seemed like forever? Did the groundwork address strikes? Leg locks? Spine, face, and neck locks? Were all the submissions able to be applied in randori or were they of the shake-and-break variety where they were shown in class but never used?

Geez, lots of questions, sorry for the overload rolleyes

Alright, I'll hush now...

Arte

I'm still here, just busy! Here is some more info:

1. I'm wondering on all types of ground work, mostly locks and submits.
2. The jujutsu ryu I took was only for 2 years, and I doubt how good the instructor was. It was a lot of standing around or sitting in a position. Not very fluid as I am used to with karate. Learned a little about arm and leg locks, but not much else. He obviously was more comfortable standing as that is mostly what we worked on.(Not what I was looking for, so I left)
3. He taught very stagnant as well. You have to use this lock only if attacked this way......No ground and pound was covered.
4. Having said all of this, I have worked on my techniques quite a bit on my own. Triangle, Kimura, and many of the big name locks I can both do and teach from most positions.
5. I was just looking for sites and ideas for personal growth, so what you gave me was great......any more info needed?

Thanks again!
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Martial Arts General