Wing Chun

For discussions concerning all types of traditional chinese martial arts.

Wing Chun

Postby Guss » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:53 am

Do you know how I can learn Master Wing Chun on my own. Because I am going to buy a wooden dummy and wing chun lessons are very hard to find. And I can't find any movies. Is it possible to master by reading books? Give me your Opinion :x
Guss

Re: Wing Chun

Postby Mike Casto » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:44 pm

Guss wrote:Do you know how I can learn Master Wing Chun on my own. Because I am going to buy a wooden dummy and wing chun lessons are very hard to find. And I can't find any movies. Is it possible to master by reading books? Give me your Opinion :x

It's nearly impossible to master mathematics from a book - and that's a purely intellectual pursuit. To learn, much less "master", anything in the physical realm, you need a physical instructor. Books are good for researching the history and background of martial arts. They're good as references for refreshing your memory about something you already know. But you can't realistically learn martial arts from them.

In physical endeavors, you must have, as my instructor phrases it, the "learning triangle." You have to "see it, feel it, do it."

You have to see it done properly from the outside. You have to feel it done properly on you. And you have to do it, with supervision, until you're doing it properly.

Written media accomplishes none of this. It doesn't really show the material being done correctly because there's no motion. Even videos don't show it being done completely correctly because they have to make things bigger and exaggerate things so that you, the viewer, can actually see what's going on. But video is better than written media. Neither of these mediums can answer questions you may have or provide different visual angles or let you feel the material or give you feedback. They can't watch you and ensure that you're doing it correctly.

Neither of those mediums really addresses any part of the learning triangle. Video approximates addressing the "see it" portion but does it poorly. Written media, really, doesn't even do this - even if the pictures and illustrations are really well done.

If you must train in Wing Chun then find an instructor and do whatever it takes to train with him/her. Some might even offer remote training which is lacking but it's better than nothing. Most remote training is done via videos supplemented with as much personal time with the instructor as you can manage to work out. But if you really want Wing Chun you'll find a way to make it work. You'll either move to where a Wing Chun instructor is or you'll find someone to do it remotely.

If you choose to try to learn from videos and books with no personal instruction then don't be surprised when, x number of years down the road, you find that you've actually learned next to nothing about actually doing Wing Chun. You may have a lot of intellectual knowledge about the history and background and lineages and movers and shakers in Wing Chun. But as soon as you start working with another Wing Chun player, you'll find that you're seriously lacking in all the physical aspects.

Wing Chun isn't just about working a Mook Jong. It's about senstivity. The only way to develop that sensitivity is by working with other people. And the only way to develop it properly is by working with other people under the tutelage of a good instructor.

Mike
Alertness and courage are life's shield. -- Filipino Proverb
Mike Casto
Instructor

Return to Traditional Chinese Martial Arts