Other grips? and more

For discussions of Remy Presas' Modern Arnis and other Filipino martial arts.

Other grips? and more

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:39 pm

From the old forums...

Tye Botting
Administrator

Other grips?
Started at Sun Mar 7 17:39:47 2004 IP66.157.164.126 I had another thought about something which I seem to be the only one to practice, and that's the subject of other grips.

Normally, our grip on the cane is sort of a "tennis-grip", in which if your hand is out in a handshaking position, the tip (tusok) would be up on the thumb side, and the butt (punyo) would be on the pinkie side, sticking out 0.5 inches or so.

Years ago, I started working with an alternate grip that consisted of the thumb side of the can sticking out only an inch or so and the pinkie side sticking out what was left over - most of the cane's length. Basically, an ice-pick type of grip.

I did this because with many disarms and such, you end up with your opponent's cane in that position and rather than shift grips before continuing or dropping their cane altogether, I figured it would be advantageous to be able to fight with that grip if you had need. It turns out that sinawalis work just fine with this grip, as do many normal disarms. What's more, there are a variety of quite different things you can do from this position. Now, while it's certainly not the best position to have the cane in, it is also not one in which you are grossly limited, and in fact can be a quite effective way to hold the cane should the need arise.

Do others of you work the cane this way as well, or am I off on a strange track here? I do recall talking to a guy from a different style and he had also experimented with this, but I don't remember if he said it was part of the style or simply his own expansion.

Roland

Re: Other grips?
Reply #1 Posted at Mon Mar 8 02:45:21 2004 IP151.199.216.27 Greetings,

I do train a little "reverse" grip as well. I was told that that in some regions of the PI, the local policemen will carry their baton along the the length of the forearm in a reverse grip fashion and a series of techniques evolved from that. It is interesting and does flow nicely.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #2 Posted at Mon Mar 8 06:30:56 2004 IP66.157.164.126 Cool, glad I wasn't the only one to mess with this. I was surprised at how easily sinawalis, for example, flowed both with complete 'reverse' grip and even mixed (one reverse grip, and one normal). Definitely can throw a kink in the other person's pattern though. wink

Techniques like disarms were a bit harder to factor in, but they're there too. And sometimes have some surprisingly effective followups and such.

I just let the ol' noggin' chug away at the stuff the Prof has given, and see what ferments out of it when the pieces are put together or looked at differently, while still working the old (some that others seem to have forgotten even) material.

BTW, thanks for coming by, Roland!

Roland

Reply #3 Posted at Mon Mar 8 14:09:36 2004 IP151.199.216.27 Tye,

No problem, thanks for the invite.

Re: Other Grips, one area I find that it works well is with the abanico corto entries as they lend themselves well to strip disarms and chokes.

I will definitely have to look at more of the sinawali applications!

Have a good day.

Tye Botting

Administrator

Reply #4 Posted at Mon Mar 8 15:52:54 2004 IP204.196.55.102 Abaniko corto - good idea; I haven't done much with that, but from what you posted, I think I'll go and take another look. Thanks Roland!

Yep, the sinawalis are fun with the reverse grip - very easy for someone like you with a CMA background, I think. Kind of fun to go from a strip disarm that gives you a reverse grip in that hand and the normal grip in your right, straight into sinawali without grip-shifting - very fast and effective, IMHO.

Chris Ball

Re: Other grips? and more
Reply #5 Posted at Mon Mar 8 21:09:44 2004 IP192.152.243.121 I had an instructor in College Station that made me use alternative grips in sinawalis a few times. What a pain in the butt! I learned a lot and have played with it off and on ever since !!

My memory may fail me, but I think Professor Vee preferred that reverse grip. I'm not sure if I saw that in a video clip once or in Mark Wiley's book, but I vaguely recall something along those lines.

Also, Hartman was emphasizing use of not only alternative grips with cane, but also of the knife (as you might grab it after a disarm, for example). Further, he said his school keeps baseball bats, steel bars, etc. in the corner of the room just to periodically think how techniques would be modified if you picked up a non-symmetrically weighted object or something extremely heavy. Alternatively, he pointed out you might modify blocks (or use more palis-palis) if someone were attacking with a heavy object.

I gain a lot by looking at my standard techniques through such alternative lenses.

Best, C
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Re: Other grips? and more

Postby Mike Casto » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:00 am

Absolutely. We do some work with this grip for the very reason you found. If you "strip & keep" your opponent's weapon it sometimes ends up in this grip. Also if I grab a weapon in a fight I'm not going to worry about getting into any specific position to fight with. I'm most likely going to use it just like I picked it up.

Mike
Alertness and courage are life's shield. -- Filipino Proverb
Mike Casto
Instructor

Return to Modern Arnis