Training Camps and Seminars

For discussions of Remy Presas' Modern Arnis and other Filipino martial arts.

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:50 pm

From the old forums...

Tye Botting
Administrator

Started at Wed Mar 3 04:37:59 2004
Last Modified at Fri Mar 5 16:03:41 2004 by Tye Botting IP66.157.161.19 I just got back from the recent Training Camp in Houston - 4 days of Modern Arnis training, and it was great. As always, great material, smooth instruction, and great people to cross sticks and hands with. I'll be posting excerpts of my notes from that camp as I get them transcribed.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Re: Training Camps and Seminars
Reply #1 Posted at Wed Mar 3 05:01:00 2004
Last Modified at Wed Mar 3 05:01:27 2004 by Tye Botting IP66.157.161.19 ANNOUNCEMENT:

March 21, afternoon in Natchitoches, LA

I'll be doing a Modern Arnis seminar at Ichiban Dojo, with the help of Dr. Hume. It will last 2 hours and is planned to be a good intro to the art, while still giving some advanced feel to things. Should be a blast!

Time and fees: TBA

kai-man

Reply #2 Posted at Wed Mar 10 23:42:09 2004 IP10.1.20.45 Hey is that far far away?
Maybe i can get up to C.S. and brush up on stuff with Dr.Hume
Coolio...
-k

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #3 Posted at Thu Mar 11 03:18:31 2004 IP66.157.164.126 Natchitoches, LA is about a 6-hour drive from Austin I think... If you're serious, you're welcome to come up to my place the day before and visit, train, and crash. Then we relax until Dr. Hume shows and all drive out to do the seminar in Natchitoches (about 45 min away).

For you to drive to my place would be about 5 to 5.5 hours, give or take. Come on down!

And, yes, you should go and brush up a bit w/ Dr. Hume - I'm sure he'd love to see you and help you out.

kai-man

Re: Re: Training Camps and Seminars
Reply #4 Posted at Tue Mar 16 15:20:27 2004 IP10.1.20.45

On Thu Mar 11 03:18:31 2004, Tye Botting wrote: (read quoted post)Natchitoches, LA is about a 6-hour drive from Austin I think... If you're serious, you're welcome to come up to my place the day before and visit, train, and crash. Then we relax until Dr. Hume shows and all drive out to do the seminar in Natchitoches (about 45 min away).

For you to drive to my place would be about 5 to 5.5 hours, give or take. Come on down!

And, yes, you should go and brush up a bit w/ Dr. Hume - I'm sure he'd love to see you and help you out.

Hmm...i just hurt my back doing squats yesterday...pinched nerve or something. It should heal by the camp date but maybe it'll ease out by the weekend. maybe come up to c.s. on the weekend to train and brush up while your there for the pre-test seminar...well see well see...will need a place to stay tho. anyone?
-k

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #5 Posted at Wed Mar 17 23:19:36 2004 IP204.196.55.102 Turns out the seminar will be from 3pm to 5pm, and cost $15 if you're part of the school (or part of 'me'). Folks are still welcome to come if ya like. There's even going to be a press release w/ pix and all that. I'll try to save a copy for posterity - I'm not often in the media since I'm not good at all that PR stuff.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #6 Posted at Mon Mar 22 02:02:46 2004 IP65.0.42.38 Just got back from the seminar and a nice dinner afterwards - we had a blast! Guro Dr. Hume came in to help out and helped make the seminar just about perfect. The two hours were full of some good training with empty-hand sinawali and applications, basic strikes, disarms and throws and ground work. Ten+ people showed up to participate, and they all got a lot out of it.

It's been awhile since I've done a seminar, and it couldn't have gone better - great energy and folks, and the whole package. I'm psyched and looking forward to starting regular classes real soon.

Ed Kwan

Reply #7 Posted at Wed Mar 31 14:46:04 2004 IP207.235.15.24 Congratulation Tye for a good seminar. We need more people to spread the art.
wink
Ed

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #8 Posted at Wed Mar 31 14:50:31 2004 IP204.196.55.102 Thanks, Ed! Yep, it's kinda nice to get back into the "startup mode" in a new place.

Quite a different feel than starting a moderna arnis university club like I did a decade ago, but I've really lucked into a good location with serious martial artists and a very open-minded and supportive outlook. Bodes well indeed - in fact, I may end up with more MA students than I know what to do with. wink
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Modern Arnis