Cheap source of tough cane

For discussions of Remy Presas' Modern Arnis and other Filipino martial arts.

Cheap source of tough cane

Postby Tye Botting » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:39 pm

i buy in bulk from these guys:

bamboo & rattan works
470 oberlin avenue south
lakewood, n.j. 08701
(908) 370-0220
732.905.8386 fax
webmaster@bambooandrattan.com
www.bambooandrattan.com
wholesale rattan, matting,
bamboo & caning

they sell 8' to 9' lengths of various diameter raw rattan (you can choose the diameter you like, with prices ranging from $15 to $19 per 8-foot length), and then you can cut it to your preference. or they can cut it for you to your specified length for approx $5-$6 per cane.

the cane comes with skin on and lasts a very long time, as opposed to the skinless rattan you get from other places.
Last edited by Tye Botting on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Cheap cane

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:13 am

What are called student quality canes can be purchased from kombat instruments; just do an on-line search. the canes cost about $10 a pair, but must be purchased in quantity. even though they are called student quality, i find the canes of good quality. the canes are not sanded, therefore the nodes are not smooth. i don't find the lack of smoothness and prettiness and problem; nor do my students. you can order any diameter and any length. the canes are cut to order. one problem is that if you order 1" canes expect canes of varying diameters around that 1". if you are like me and lack a good saw-i think a band saw is needed to cut cane down to size-your cane comes pre-cut and a lot cheaper than the $20 or more many sources charge.
Michael

Return to Modern Arnis