TKF Campout 2005 Discussion

For discussions and announcements pertaining to Tye's Kung Fu and associated schools.

TKF Campout 2005 Discussion

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:49 pm

I'm unsure at this moment whether 2005 will see a single campout or two campouts again.

Discuss, please.
Last edited by Tye Botting on Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby R O Dubl S » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:09 am

As many as possible!!!!

I loved this past weekend, and would be willing to go to any and all campouts offered, as I am sure any of those attending this past weekend would.
Ross Robinson
Proudest Member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o 2007! A Whoop!
R O Dubl S

yup

Postby marchere » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:24 am

i'll second that
marchere

Postby BenGarcia » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:40 pm

b-b-b-but.....you're gonna have one in the spring, right? right?! :shock:
BenGarcia

Postby Tye Botting » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:26 pm

We'll see when the next one will be. I had told everyone that this Fall campout was going to help me gauge how often future camps would be held.

It turned out to be kind of poor attendance, even though it was a great camp with some outstanding guest instructors. And this despite everyone's copious assurances that it could be a go. We had a total of at least four (4) people who didn't make it despite assurances (and yes, I know - things come up; trying to factor that in is already built into my consideration of how many attend each time). There were another three (3) that wanted to attend that didn't promise and ended up not being able to swing it.

There's some cutoff point where attendance drops off if they're too often or too rare, and peaks at just the right frequency. The next one can't be in the summer and Spring is definitely easier, but I've not totally decided yet.

The breakdown for the latest camp was this:
2 instructors/captains from TKF
4 students from TKF
3 returning from Sifu Stanton (1 not competing)
1 from Wang's
2 from Lansdale's (1st half)

That makes a total of only 9 whole-camp that ended up doing the trail.
This is one less than my absolute minimum to run the camp (one person paid and registered and didn't show, and in any case we had 2 half-attendings, so it worked out just barely). At least TKF people were the majority, but only just barely! ;-)

I will have to decide at least 3 months in advance to be able to get that Campsite F again so we need to hammer this out now ASAP.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Jackie » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:01 pm

What? :smt022 We have to have a spring camp! Count me in! And I'll see what I can do about talking others into coming! :smt027
Jackie

Postby Tye Botting » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:36 am

The more discussion, the better. I want as many people as possible to chime in on this so I can make the best possible decision about the next camp(s). I'd like to also hear the people who couldn't come or didn't choose to come, regarding what their take is on their interest in future camps. And of course I still would like more discussion from the camp veterans, new and old.

In fact, now would be a perfect time to bring people on here that haven't yet created an account or stopped by, as well as those who are here but have just been lurking.

So, perhaps we can all encourage the students to drop on by and add their 2 cents, plus take advantage of the other uses of the forum?
Tye Botting
Site Admin

TKF Camp

Postby Adam Coats » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:36 pm

Sifu Botting,

I thought the camp was a great success. I was able to see the martial arts from a new perspective and meet some new friends. I know of others from our school who want to come back, and some who want to see what it's like. If invited, I'm game for the spring. If you want more participants, I can get those too.

Adam
Adam Coats

Postby Tye Botting » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:51 pm

I consider Lansdale's a sister school in very many ways - good schools are hard to find and when I do, I welcome them with open arms. There are two other schools I do that with and all are good company IMHO.

Prof. Lansdale and his people most certainly have a standing invite to whatever I might do.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Please do a spring camp

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:46 am

Connie and I have tickets back from okinawa to the mainland for use in the spring (and about 30 days
of leave for her) and I'd like to hit the camp. If not,
please hold one in 2008 when we get back to CONUS.

Dan S.
Dan

Postby Tye Botting » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:37 pm

So, six people have spoken up for another camp in the spring (thanks, by the way!). All of those are prior camp attendees. I'd really like to hear from even more attendees (both from this camp as well as previous ones), plus I'd like to hear from those who didn't/couldn't make it this last fall.

BTW, since Sifu Schmitt will be coming stateside and wants to mesh it with a camp (yay!), we'll have to work around his schedule and when I can get the campsite, and we'll have to be sure that we definitely get more people than we had last time.

Sifu Schmitt, what time-frame are you looking at, 'cause we'd definitely like to have you at another camp and just plain see ya's again.

Feel free to use this thread to post if you'll be a "Definite Attend" some weekend in the spring.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:35 pm

The leave is tentativly scheduled for mid april
to late may. Early May is probably the safest
time to assure that I'll be there.

Oh, and make sure Dan and Chris get everybody
to do some good forearm conditioning before we
get there, I have a form I'd like to share. :)

Dan
Dan

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:33 pm

Hmmm, early May. Dunno 'bout that for me. Rita is due end of May and I've got a vacation with Kira sometime around early May. Last weekend in April might be best, but we'll have to see what's available at the campsite as well as what Kira's school schedule is like. I should know both infos shortly here though.

Unfortunately it is indeed quiet here, so there just might not be enough interest anyway considering I need 14 participants rather than the 9 we had last time. :(
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby TKF_Dan » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:41 pm

yeah, it's quiet, but it is the beginning of finals here.
TKF_Dan
Instructor

Postby BenGarcia » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:42 am

OK, OK, I committed to the camp and paid, but I didn't go...I'm sorry....I have a problem.......a problem with commitment. :-(

For real though, I moped for a whole day. Anyway, I will commit to a camp fully and completely only from May 6 onward. Finals are 2-6 here. Before that, especially the two weeks before that, I probably wouldn't be able to make it. I will half commit to something only up until the 3 weekend in April. So, to sum up, I probably won't be able to go. I will try to make what I can.

I'm also interested to learn what Black Belt Dan has been doing all this time! Hey, what about having the camp earlier, the end of February or March? It might be a little cool or wet, but hey, we know kung fu! :mad:
BenGarcia

Next

Return to Tye's Kung Fu