Wrist weights

For discussions and announcements pertaining to Tye's Kung Fu and associated schools.

Wrist weights

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:23 pm

From the old forums...

Ben Garcia

wrist weights
Started at Wed Mar 3 15:52:58 2004 IP130.160.200.115 Hey guys! Glad to see a forum where I can heckle you people, finally!

OK, here's the topic: I;ve been using wrist weights in my workouts lately, but I wonder if I should just go ahead and get some iron rings. Any ideas? I've heard that the immobility of wrist weights can contribute to joint injuries, whereas iron rings move freely with the power of your punches and so forth.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Re: wrist weights
Reply #1 Posted at Wed Mar 3 16:04:21 2004 IP204.196.55.102 (Hi Ben! Good to see you here. Everyone's psyched that you'll be at the camp, too!)

Training with iron rings is great stuff, for a number of reasons. The two most obvious are the resistance (for strength) and the contact (for conditioning). But also, the way they move up and down the forearm has some interesting (and good) consequences for power generation, stability, and structure. Go for it!

The most common error people make is just focussing on the strength aspects of ring training, and consequently they tend to use too many rings too quickly. It's actually best to start with a ring (or rings) that are light-feeling and just wear them for all your solo-training. Then increase them in steps that always seem almost "too easy", but keep increasing ever so slightly. Soon enough you'll be using lots of wide rings and you'll get the best benefit by getting there slowly.

Good luck!

Dan N

Reply #2 Posted at Fri Mar 5 14:26:36 2004 IP165.91.177.45 Good advice as always, Sifu.

Here's another thing to think about for you Ben. I know that you are interested in the rings, but I recently picked up a weight vest. Very cool. I wanted to have some extra weight on me while practicing to work on leg strength, balance, etc. I chose the vest b/c I aware of the same thing that you are, wrist and ankle weights are not good for joints and contribute to long term damage.

If you do get some rings, let us know how they work. Definitely something I'll think about getting also.

Ben

Reply #3 Posted at Fri Mar 5 20:23:42 2004 IP130.160.200.115 Dan, where did you get the weight vest? Is there a place online I can look at them or something?

So Dan, any Sifu-incurred injuries lately? Still lifting? There's some guys in the department down here that go pretty regularly every week and I've been thinking about lifting with them. I feel like I'm in high school again 'cause I know I'm going to have to start with just the bar! Damn this bony body!angry

Tauhid

Reply #4 Posted at Sun Mar 7 20:07:30 2004 IP4.34.133.230 Hi Ben Gee,

I think Dan mentioned the website name to me but I forgot what it is.. but a standard Google search will give u a lot of choices

1 example is http://www.nefitco.com/ironwear_weight_vest.html

Dan N

Reply #5 Posted at Mon Mar 8 15:08:37 2004 IP165.91.177.45 Nice job Tauhid, that's actually where I purchased the vest!

No more Sifu related injuries Ben wink since Tye had his surgery we don't get to cross hands much cry One day he'll be back up to speed...and then I'll get the old rag doll, hold me down and slap my backside treatment.

As far as lifting I just got back into it. I am going regularly now and I would encourage you to do some also. It's fun and beneficial at the same time. Still you've got to tell me if you get those rings... more to come later...

Ben Garcia

Reply #6 Posted at Mon Mar 8 16:03:23 2004 IP130.160.200.145 Wow! That's hardcore, Dan. Just looking at the picture of the vest makes my body hurt. I could get into using that thing, though I'll have to put it on lay-away wink.

Chris Rivers

Reply #7 Posted at Fri Mar 12 23:09:56 2004
Last Modified at Fri Mar 12 23:10:46 2004 by Chris Rivers IP152.163.253.100 Ben, quit being such a wussie! I recently purchased a weight vest and it is soooo cool! I can already tell a differece in my strength, speen, stamina etc and it has only been a little while. As far as wrist weights go, i heard they are not good for your joints and I believe it to be true. Plus, rings are sooooo much cooler! I might have to get me some here soon.
Take it easy

SWARMY WAS HERE!

Chris Rivers

Reply #9 Posted at Fri Mar 12 23:12:35 2004 IP152.163.253.100 Actually I don't really think you are a wussie, I heard you are going to the camp, look forward to seeing you,

SWARMY WAS HERE!

Ben Garcia

Reply #10 Posted at Mon Mar 22 19:44:09 2004 IP130.160.200.178 I've got an iron ring update: Actually, ended up buying some brass rings from our wonderfully rich friends at Wing Lam Enterprises (TCM says that a yellow metal is good for this sort of training, or so I've read, hence the brass instead of iron.) They weren't any more expensive than other sites I looked at. Anyway, the backs of my hands are now thoroughly bruised. It seems my forearms are conditioned enough to not bruise, but the backs of my hands aren't. That's also where the force of the rings end up when you finish a punch.

After I got sort of used to them, I would laugh in pain as the rings hit the bones in the back of my hand and ring as if I had two rings on. It's kind of weird doing things with these rings on, 'cause they are almost distracting. If I'm doing a form or something, it's hard to think about what I'm doing rather than the huge ring sliding up and down my arms. Anyway, Happy Training!wink
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Tye's Kung Fu