More articles here...

For discussions and announcements pertaining to Tye's Kung Fu and associated schools.

More articles here...

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:38 pm

Tye Botting
Administrator

More articles here...
Started at Fri Apr 16 19:02:16 2004
Last Modified at Fri Apr 16 19:02:30 2004 by Tye Botting IP204.196.55.102 I've got a few ideas for articles to add to the ones I have on Tactics, Applications, and Attitudes, but I thought I'd solicit suggestions from you all.

So, what other articles would you like to see here on the TKF website?

Ben Garcia

Re: More articles here...
Reply #1 Posted at Fri Apr 16 20:51:38 2004 IP130.160.200.178 confused You mean like magazine articles and stuff? Are there articles on the site? Or do you mean points to think about, like dominating, pre-empting, ...etc.?

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #2 Posted at Fri Apr 16 21:46:29 2004 IP204.196.55.102 You know, the pages like tactics.shtml, apps.shtml, and attitudes.shtml ...

I might do more in-depth, or leave it schematic so that it applies more widely.

Dan S

Reply #3 Posted at Fri Apr 16 22:06:27 2004 IP204.210.96.119 More history/classification of where which form came from.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Reply #4 Posted at Sun Apr 18 21:29:44 2004 IP65.0.42.38 Dan, that'd be more style-specific than I want for the content-part of the site. But I could do that here, though I dunno how much more I could add than what I've already passed on to each of you when I taught the forms.

njekwa

Reply #5 Posted at Mon Apr 19 16:40:32 2004 IP165.91.166.171 tai chi is good for me ............happy

Dan S

Re: Re: More articles here...
Reply #6 Posted at Mon Apr 19 18:19:45 2004 IP204.210.96.119

On Sun Apr 18 21:29:44 2004, Tye Botting wrote: (read quoted post)Dan, that'd be more style-specific than I want for the content-part of the site. But I could do that here, though I dunno how much more I could add than what I've already passed on to each of you when I taught the forms.

I was looking for more of a background on the school type thing. While it couldn't be complete (as in cover all styles for the generalness you seek), having some style specific reference stuff is a good reference thing.

Dan N

Reply #7 Posted at Mon Apr 19 19:28:53 2004 IP165.91.177.45 I am hard-pressed to think of anything useful to contribute here...The school's full lineage would be kind of neat(I can name three four names, right...Tye, Master Wang, Grandmaster Cheng, Wang Lang uh big time gap here shocked )...Other than that, I think the material here already far surparsses that of most websites. But a technique or interpretation of the month page would be cool...just food for thought...

Matthew

Reply #8 Posted at Fri Jul 30 21:07:30 2004 IP24.250.132.175 Hello my name is Matt. I am a new orientation student. I just had my first class and enjoyed it very much and am already practicing my first new stances at home.

I was wondering if it were possible to havea page with all of the stances we will be learning and practicing with their Chinese name and English name next to them along with maybe a picture of the stance. I think this owuld be helpful in the memorization so I can practice on my own as well. I've searched other sites but there seems to be different spelling of the names and minor diferences in the stances (i.e. Deng San Ma/Deng Shan Shi? or Chi Ma Sik/Chi Ma Shi)

Thanks!

P.S. If there is one somewhere on the site and I overlooked forgive me!

Tye Botting
Administrator
\
Reply #9 Posted at Sat Jul 31 17:18:08 2004 IP65.0.7.57 You should get a student handbook, which will have the chinese and english terms listed. For helping you with stances and movements and such, I'd encourage you to make your own notes - there's a whole lot of details that will get solidified by the process of digesting them yourself via notes and such, which is really the best way to go in the long run.

Tye Botting
Administrator

Re: Re: More articles here...
Reply #10 Posted at Sat Jul 31 17:26:52 2004 IP65.0.7.57

On Fri Jul 30 21:07:30 2004, Matthew wrote: (read quoted post)I've searched other sites but there seems to be different spelling of the names and minor diferences in the stances (i.e. Deng San Ma/Deng Shan Shi? or Chi Ma Sik/Chi Ma Shi)

The spelling will be differnent oftimes since the characters are transliterated phonetically using different standards (or sometimes not even standards at all). The other differences are due to the various dialects which, though they use the same characters, pronounce them differently in different parts of China. Lastly, sometimes whole different words are used, depending on the styles and the teachers' preferences.

Our stances (using a mostly wade-giles fomat) are:

teng shan shih --> mountain climbing stance
hsiao teng shan --> small mountain climbing stance
chi ma shih --> horse riding stance
hsu shih --> what we call "cat stance", though literally it's "empty stance"
tu li --> single leg stance
pu tui --> easier to say "pu tui"; low single straight-leg stance
tsao peng / yu peng --> cross stance (left and right, respectively)
chang ding shih --> L stance
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Tye's Kung Fu