Training

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

Training

Postby Guss » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:48 pm

Well I'm practicing JKD. I want to do more training than I do now. But i don't like training in front of other people. My house is always full and Kahle Community is always crowded. How do you think I can start training as much as I can? :?
Guss

Re: Training

Postby Mike Casto » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:41 am

Guss wrote:Well I'm practicing JKD. I want to do more training than I do now. But i don't like training in front of other people. My house is always full and Kahle Community is always crowded. How do you think I can start training as much as I can? :?

I'd start by figuring out why you donn't like training in front of other people.

Mike
Alertness and courage are life's shield. -- Filipino Proverb
Mike Casto
Instructor

Training

Postby Guss » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:16 pm

Well I haven't thought about that. I think the reason probably is because I really dont like people watching me :? I don't want anyone to say stuff about me while im training.
Guss

Postby R O Dubl S » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:09 pm

eh, you shouldn't worry so much about what other people think.
Ross Robinson
Proudest Member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o 2007! A Whoop!
R O Dubl S

Re: Training

Postby Mike Casto » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:57 pm

Guss wrote:Well I haven't thought about that. I think the reason probably is because I really dont like people watching me :? I don't want anyone to say stuff about me while im training.

Well, would you be training to impress other people or to improve yourself?

If you're training to improve yourself then it doesn't matter what other people say or think.

Also, if you're training in a class with other people then no one's going to say or think anything because, at some point, they've all been there. I haven't felt like a complete newbie in at least 10 years - and maybe 20+ years. But I can still remember what it felt like enough to be sympathetic. Most people in an average class have only been training for a few months to a few years. They will usually have very vivid memories of fumbling around and feeling awkward. I wouldn't expect you to catch any flak from anyone in the class because they'll remember what it was like and be very supportive. If they're not then get someone who is supportive to slap 'em around for ya ;)

Mike
Alertness and courage are life's shield. -- Filipino Proverb
Mike Casto
Instructor

Postby BenGarcia » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:12 pm

Well, this is good training motivation. If you don't want people saying stuff about you, then do your techniques right, so if they say anything, it'll be in awe. :P
For real though, if these "talkers" aren't martial artists, they should be ignored. Except for the A-holes, most MAists remember what it's like to feel a little self-conscious.

If Tye commented on this, he'd probably say "Do it right."
BenGarcia

Return to Martial Arts General