Camp Lansdale 2004

For discussions and announcements pertaining to Tye's Kung Fu and associated schools.

Camp Lansdale 2004

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:38 pm

Also, don't forget that Camp Lansdale is coming up again. For those of you who know what it's like, you know you get some great training with some great people at a super-good price. I'll be a guest instructor this year.

The date is Oct 1 though Oct 3

I believe all TKF students are welcome, but I'm sure if you've been there before and/or help out with instruction at TKF, it's a definite invite. I'll check on the rest and get back - or perhaps Mike Casto will drop by and clue us in?...

In any case, that means in Oct and Nov you have two great training opportunities to avail yourselves of.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Tye Botting » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:28 pm

Here's where to find the info for the camp, costs, schedules, instructors etc.

http://www.joerlansdale.com/shenchuan/Events.htm

We need to have a large presence there, both for all of your goods as well as Professor Lansdale who has been kind enough to have me be one of the guest instructors.

Plus, for those of you I've not seen in some time, it would give us a chance to catch up!
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby BenGarcia » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:03 pm

Hey Sifu, where do you stay when you go? I know you know where the good deal hotels are...don't hold out, now. One other question: is it possible to stay for just 1 or 1.5 days as opposed to the entire thing and pay a reduced price? Just curious. If I can get the cost of this trip down, I might be bringing another guy here in the department who's done 6+ years of MA up in Chattanooga.[/u][/b]
BenGarcia

Postby Tye Botting » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:34 pm

I dunno. They're putting me up some place is all I know. Hopefully Mike C will chime in on this and we'll both know more... ;-)
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Mike Casto » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:57 pm

Tye Botting wrote:I dunno. They're putting me up some place is all I know. Hopefully Mike C will chime in on this and we'll both know more... ;-)

Well, there are only a handful of hotels in Nacogdoches proper - actually, according to

http://yellowpages.superpages.com/listi ... L&local=on

there are 8 hotels in town. I have only stayed at the Holiday Inn - and if memory serves, it's now some other hotel - and the La Quinta Inn. However, I've heard bad things about the Fredonia.

My personal recommendation would be La Quinta. Partially because I had a good experience staying there - though it was back in '98 - and partially because of its proximity to the school. From La Quinta, you turn right on 59, then right at (I believe) the first light and you're only a mile or two from the school. And the price at La Quinta isn't bad.

Mike
Alertness and courage are life's shield. -- Filipino Proverb
Mike Casto
Instructor

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:54 pm

Thanks for the info, Guru Mike! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to pull a "Casto" on this one and unattend myself from this camp. I looked on mapquest the other day and realized that this would be an 8 hour drive for me, and compounded with my full Friday schedule, I don't think this is going to be possible (financially and temporally speaking). Sorry Sifu, I was really looking forward to going this time. I got excited after seeing some of the clips from past camps while in Louisville.

Anyway, I'll try to make the TKF camp, but this semester I have a busier schedule. Then again, I usually skip things for our camp so it ain't no thang! :wink:

Postby Mike Casto » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:51 pm

Anonymous wrote:Thanks for the info, Guru Mike! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to pull a "Casto" on this one and unattend myself from this camp. I looked on mapquest the other day and realized that this would be an 8 hour drive for me, and compounded with my full Friday schedule, I don't think this is going to be possible (financially and temporally speaking). Sorry Sifu, I was really looking forward to going this time. I got excited after seeing some of the clips from past camps while in Louisville.

Anyway, I'll try to make the TKF camp, but this semester I have a busier schedule. Then again, I usually skip things for our camp so it ain't no thang! :wink:

Hey now - that hardly qualifies as a "Casto" :)

I was planning on driving 14 hours for Camp Lansdale and the only reason that I'm not now is that, being in my right mind, I can't possibly pass on a free trip to China to do martial arts demos with my Sikal instructor. ;)

Mike
Mike Casto
Instructor

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:39 pm

Hey now - that hardly qualifies as a "Casto"

I know, I know, just poking fun at your oh-so-desirable predicament. But you just HAD to inform everyone of your 14-hour drive and make me look like the wuss I am, didn't you?! :wink: By the way, you know a full report is required promptly upon your return, right? With pictures. :shock:

Postby Mike Casto » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:27 am

Anonymous wrote:Hey now - that hardly qualifies as a "Casto"

I know, I know, just poking fun at your oh-so-desirable predicament. But you just HAD to inform everyone of your 14-hour drive and make me look like the wuss I am, didn't you?! :wink: By the way, you know a full report is required promptly upon your return, right? With pictures. :shock:

LOL ;)

I don't know that we'll have a camera with us - we'll have video but I'm not sure about stills. And I'm not sure how much video - kinda depends on the battery life of the cameras - unless someone over there has the necessary converters/adapters so we can recharge our batteries.

However, given a couple of months (my wife and I leave to hike the Grand Canyon 3 days after I return from China and then I'll have to recuperate from all of that for a while), I will be able to pull images from the video and put together a report :)

I'm actually planning on keeping a journal on the trip. I figure I can use it to write both a report and I'll probably be able to get some stories out of it to boot :)

Mike
Mike Casto
Instructor

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:12 pm

Remember, this event happens this weekend. I'd really like to see some of the B/CS crowd there! :supz:
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Tye Botting » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:25 am

Well, the event was a smashing success, and they really liked our stuff. The other instructors, both in-house and guests like myself were outstanding, and it was just generally very top-notch affair. I was a bit sorry that none of our folks showed up, but hopefully that just means they're all freeing things up for our upcoming camp.

For my material, I worked quite a few mantis applications, along with my usual tweaks. I also worked a bit of empty-hand vs. cane work, first force on force fast disarms, and then blending to use their own weapon against them. The next day I worked some knife disarms and the knife tappi drill, as well as some obstruction removal and cane vs. cane bait-and-trap. I emphasized my particular power generation bits and other details along the way, as I'm wont to do. :lol:

The in-house guys did some amazing stuff with balance displacement and locks, and also demo'd some 'ghosting' that was just the coolest stuff! Too much good stuff in those segments to detail - suffice it to say it was definitely worth not missing!

The guest kenpo guy did some really impressive flowing into striking with simultaneous balance disruption, and also some very fine-tuned aikido-like balance disruption mechanics. I was impressed and pleased to see some really good stuff from a style that sometimes gets a short shrift. He was returning from last years camp where he also did some segments. Very nice stuff, and is a good contact for people in Austin. He's Sifu Michael Billings and is in the phone book there.

The last guest was as mild-mannered of a kick-ass guy you'd ever hope to meet. He's been doing MA for 40 years, starting out with some really hardcore training which he still loves and can do, but now also likes to emphasize pressure points, joint locks, and he's also an IMAF certified instructor. Nice to see his approach to the understanding of pressure points, and that he didn't rely on them mindlessly as if they were magic. They're just aids and he taught them that way, along with all the fineries that make them work. And, for what it's worth, he's the only pressure point guy that has been able to get a point stun on me. Very nice.

Anyway, just wanted to give a quick report. Quite a great camp with a great bunch of folks - folks who "get it" in the best way we like to think of good schools. They would be a good friend school for TKF, as would Michael Billings' school in Austin.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Tye's Kung Fu