Introductions

An open forum for everyone to discuss any and all types of martial arts.

Postby Tye Botting » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:14 pm

Good to see you posting here again, Ben! How're things out your way? Find any cool training?

BTW, buy a shirt! ;-)
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Hi all

Postby bustr » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:24 pm

I joined the forum a few weeks back. A few months ago I was forutnate enough to be able to work out with one of Mr Wang's and Mr Cheng's students who was working in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area. An internet search led me back here. My name is Mike. My background is in Hebert karate, Lameco Eskrima, Tjimindie silat and some BJJ. I teach at Universal Self Defense in Port Neches.
bustr

Postby Tye Botting » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:53 pm

Nice to have you hear, bustr! Welcome. I think I've seen some poekelan tjimindie silat, is that what you do? And I've not heard of Hebert karate - what's that like?
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby bustr » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:55 pm

Tye Botting wrote:Nice to have you hear, bustr! Welcome. I think I've seen some poekelan tjimindie silat, is that what you do? And I've not heard of Hebert karate - what's that like?

Here's a group on the silat style that I trained in. Guru Jim has one of the more informative groups on the branch that I studied.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pukulan_Tjiminde_Malay/

The founder of our school, Jack Hebert, never used a style name. He trained in Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan and Judo and I think maybe in Kenpo and Hung gar too. His style is a mix of these. He doesn't have a name for it although his karate is a specific form with some distinguishing characteristics. The main thing that Distinguishes it to me is the method of stepping during basics. The steps and body movement of TKD's "1-9 way" exercises is used in place of more standard front, back and horse stances. The footwork is present in TKD and probably some other styles too. He just preferred to place more emphasis on it.
bustr

Postby BenGarcia » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:01 pm

Things out here are OK. We're all excited about Katrina right now. They're actually cancelling classes after noon tomorrow (wusses). It's just a little wind... As for training, I've been working out with a (small) Yosiekan Budo group. It seems to be a mix of a bunch of Japanese stuff, but mostly aikido, judo, and a little karate (but not much). Pretty interesting, I guess. I'm kind of dissappointed in it, really. I've kept on training my kung fu as well; I've been using leg wieghts and iron (brass) rings most of the time, and getting a decent amount of bag work. I train on my wooden dummy (which stays outside) when I can, but it's so god-forsaken humid here.
BenGarcia

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:33 am

How you doin' with Katrina and all that? Hopefully not too bad in your area?
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby BenGarcia » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:02 pm

Katrina wasn't toooo bad here, not like on the coast or anything. It blew a lot of big trees over, knocked out some power lines, that sort of thing. The UA rec center has been turned into a red cross shelter and a lot of people from MS and LA are there indefinitely. They sent out emails today asking for donations of bedding and stuff b/c they're running out pretty quickly. Craziness.
BenGarcia

Postby Shaolin Bushido » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:17 pm

Hello, just hollering at everyone again. Got turned down for the other Kungfu list but it's cool. :-(
www.ultimate-gym.com Filipino MA, JKD, Muay Thai, BJJ, Kyokushin Karate, Boxing
Shaolin Bushido

Postby Tye Botting » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:31 pm

What other kungfu list?
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Shaolin Bushido » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:42 am

Tye Botting wrote:What other kungfu list?
The e-mail list you have? I filled out the form and since it wasn't okayed or nayed in a certain amount of time I got the "so sorry" message.

There was a link somewhere here I believe to join that list.
Shaolin Bushido

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:45 am

Hmm, if you sent back the form and didn't get validated recently, that means I never got the form - haven't had to turn anyone away recently. As soon as they pop in my email, I process them and approve - usually that's within a few hours of when you send back the form. I keep all forms I receive as well, so I can go back and reverify if necessary.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Shaolin Bushido » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:06 am

Tye Botting wrote:Hmm, if you sent back the form and didn't get validated recently, that means I never got the form - haven't had to turn anyone away recently. As soon as they pop in my email, I process them and approve - usually that's within a few hours of when you send back the form. I keep all forms I receive as well, so I can go back and reverify if necessary.
Oh ... well, it's cool anyway. I did receive a letter in my e-mail that said I was automatically denied.

I beleive it was a separate message that came that explained that I was denied because my request wasn't answered in a certain amount of time.

No worries. I'll just pop in here and read ya'll's stuff.
Shaolin Bushido

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:40 am

Well, actually the international list is totally different than these forums - it is discussions between high-level chinese stylists from all over the country and world. I've invited them here, but they like the email list format and are happy there - it's been going for over a decade and there are quite a number of good folk who call it home. Definitely a totally different place. It takes care of itself with little guidance from me and has had lots of good discussions on 5-ancestors, wing chun, kung fu history, etc, etc. Just a heads up - wouldn't want you to get the idea that these two (the list and this forum) were related. My goal was that, but it's stayed put, happy where it is.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby Shaolin Bushido » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:10 am

Tye Botting wrote:Well, actually the international list is totally different than these forums - it is discussions between high-level chinese stylists from all over the country and world. I've invited them here, but they like the email list format and are happy there - it's been going for over a decade and there are quite a number of good folk who call it home. Definitely a totally different place. It takes care of itself with little guidance from me and has had lots of good discussions on 5-ancestors, wing chun, kung fu history, etc, etc. Just a heads up - wouldn't want you to get the idea that these two (the list and this forum) were related. My goal was that, but it's stayed put, happy where it is.
Oh, I'm definitely in the right place then. I feel dumb enough as it is. I, at least THINK I understand most of what's discussed here!heheheh
Shaolin Bushido

Previous

Return to Martial Arts General