Chris's China training Forum

For discussions and announcements pertaining to Tye's Kung Fu and associated schools.

Chris's China training Forum

Postby Chris Rivers » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:07 am

Hey Guys I'm coming up on almost my second week of training here at the shaolin academy and may I say my ass is busted on a daily basis and I love every second of it. I can already tell my skills have increased ( they do that when you train for like 6-7 hours a day. Anyhow any questions, comments whatever, feel free to post here I will check it periodically. Oh yeah, Tye, Write me back dammit!
Swarmy has spoken!
Chris Rivers
TKF Instructor

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:13 am

Excellent! Glad they're keeping you in line. :lol: All I can say is that it's a good thing you're young and in shape! Seriously, I envy you this year of training over there - it's something I always wanted to do when I was younger and was never able to swing it.

Have fun and represent! Keep us informed, too. I know there's lots of our students that would love to hear the kind of stuff you're doing there, and I would too.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby TKF_Dan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:43 am

Sweet. My face runs green with envy right now. Definitely keep us posted Chris, I'd love to hear about how your training is going.
TKF_Dan
Instructor

Postby BenGarcia » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:55 pm

Geen With Envy is right, Dan!! I think we're all living a little vicariously through you, Chris. Any funny and/or amusing anecdotes, good training trips...etc, put'em here. Especially training tips!

Hey, so, where are you in China? At THE Shaolin Wushuguan near Dengfeng, or what? I heard a Shaolin temple in the north is taking students, now. I bet it's good to get away from everything here, huh? I wish I could...
BenGarcia

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:24 pm

He's at the Si Ping City Shaolin Martial Arts Academy - here's the link: http://www.shaolins.com/

Neat stuff - plus the ability to train for multiple years over lots of good material. I can't quite make out if it's traditional wushu or contemporary wushu, but it looks great from what I can tell. And it's a good deal too!
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby BenGarcia » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:05 pm

Are you trying to sell it to me or what? It sounds like they're paying you... ;)
BenGarcia

Postby Tye Botting » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:20 pm

Nope, just wish they had something like that when I got out of undergrad - then I could have done it at the perfect time.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Email

Postby marchere » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:55 pm

Hook me up with your direct email account.

Marc
marchere

Postby Abel Martinez » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:05 pm

Well then, I must definitely test in the Spring, otherwise I will look so bad that Master Wang will take away my black belt if I had to test alongside Chris.

It would probably take about 6 months or so just to test for white (like the first time) again.

Please send info about the training regimen, food, and especially anything on jows and injury prevention, culture, etc.

Have you done any special weiner qigongs?

am
---
Abel Martinez
amartinez@tiaer.tarleton.edu

Northern Shaolin / Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu
Remy Presas Style Modern Arnis
Yang Style Taijiquan
Abel Martinez
TKF Instructor

Postby TKF_Dan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:45 pm

He doesn't need to. We did tooooooooooons of ween0r qi gongs before I left...er....
TKF_Dan
Instructor

Postby Chris Rivers » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:08 am

Ok, Ill try to answer all the questions. My direct email acct. is cccrivers@att.net, that's att.net now, not aol.com. We wake up at 5 am and run from 5:30 to around 6:15 ish (there is push ups and other fun and creative exercises thrown in as well.) first class is 8:30 to 10, second form 10:30 to 11:30 , third form 1:30 to 3 and after that optional classes from 3:30 to 4:30 and 6-8. Our training consists of shaolin forms, power stretching (that's fun, let me tell you!) (not really), power training, sanda (Chinese kickboxing), acrobatics, chi gung (I do that daily, it's reallly cool, after three weeks, I can actually feel it!), tai chi (it's in the evenings and I havent done it yet. I'm trying to take it easy at first, so I will take evening classes later on. Weiner Chi Gung, well no. However, having a roommate, no women and daily chigung class does wonders for the libido and general energy level - no release, ya dig? I should be very...potent :D ...by the time I return home. Injury lineaments, they have this stuff called red flower oil that is great. It is supposedly a secret recipe, but judging form the smell it is a mixture of grain alcohol, peppermint and clove oils with another neutral oil to give it substance, plus zheng gou shuei (bone water!). Injury prevention techniques...yeah, sure, uh, don't injure yourself! Hey Dan, an optional evening class is Hsing Yi...I'll begin taking it this month (Jealous?), well, I'll teach you what I learn when I arrive home. O.k. That's enough for now, so if I forgot any questions or didn't answer them fully enough, sorry, I'll get to it later.
Swarmy out!
Swarmy has spoken!
Chris Rivers
TKF Instructor

Postby TKF_Dan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:26 pm

Awesome. I saw the Hsing-I optional and thought I would have to kick your ass if you didn't partake in a few classes of it. Glad to see it's going well for you.
TKF_Dan
Instructor

Postby Tye Botting » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:16 pm

Hey, I'll take some of that xingyi action too! Always been fascinated by that style and its power generation. Classes sound great, but I guess you'll have to catch up on the lower extremity qigongs with Abel when you get back. :lol:

And yep, you gotta love that zheng gu shui - I use it all the time. I think you tried some of mine before, years ago.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby R O Dubl S » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:01 pm

Wow Chris, that place seems amazing. I can't imagine how bad ass you are gonna be in a year.
Ross Robinson
Proudest Member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o 2007! A Whoop!
R O Dubl S

Postby Chris Rivers » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:06 am

O.K. Guys, This one might be a little short because I'm tired and I'm very sore. Cold weather is apparently not good for thinks like joints and muscles and motivation. What's worse is that it's only going to get colder, oh well - I'm sure it will make me stronger. I will be more than happy to teach whatever hsing yi knowledge I receive as well as any other information. Ross, as far as training tips are concerned, I have several, but it's a little difficult to express them over the forum. Oh yeah, write me an email so I have your email address and maybe I can give you some more information. I have my first skills this this week (Friday) and have been getting ready for it. I'm sure I will do great, especially when compared to the other level 1 testers...I should be proud of that, but most of them have not studied martial arts at all, so I would be mad at myself if I wasn't better than them...it's not really a competition, I don't think so but there are always a handful of people who are concerned with comparing scores. Anyway, that's all for now...swarmy out.
Swarmy has spoken!
Chris Rivers
TKF Instructor

Next

Return to Tye's Kung Fu