Sumbradas and variations

For discussions of Remy Presas' Modern Arnis and other Filipino martial arts.

Sumbradas and variations

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:11 pm

From the old forums...

Tye Botting
Administrator

Sumbradas and variations
Started at Mon Aug 23 18:55:31 2004 IP199.184.208.111 Here's one that Guro Abel and I came up with, called the Range Drill. It's got 9 counts on each side before it repeats:

{range drill (18-count)} [+disarms, locks, takedowns, & throws]
#3 strike // sweep block
cutting block // #8 strike
#9 strike // #9 block
sweep block // #2 strike
punyo hook-punch // slap closed
catch backfist & clear// backfist strike w/ live hand
#5 strike // wing block
shield (slant) block // #12 strike
#12 strike // roof (slant) block

Player 1 is the left column (blue), player 2 is the right (red). After the last block, player 2 begins over but now in player 1's role. Both have one cane in their right hand.

There ya go, Mike C! Hope you can figger it it out - the middle part will no doubt need explaining, but that can be done.

Anyone else want to share one, traditional or additive (like the above)?

Mike Casto

Re: Sumbradas and variations
Reply #1 Posted at Mon Aug 23 20:55:11 2004 IP68.210.159.149 I think I'll be able to figure it out - except for one thing. You wrote:

#3 strike // sweep block
#9 strike // #9 block

OK. #3 strike // sweep block is easy.
But then what does the B side counter with that A answers with a cutting block?

For my part (at least what I've got time for right now), I'll put the text of the Palusot Flow here - you and I went over it briefly at the Fest.

A is in sak-sak (forward) grip with the knife
B is pakal (reverse) grip with the knife
I'll use your angling system for ease of translation

===============
A thrusts angle 5

B scoops with knife, live hand lifts at elbow, knife thrusts under live hand to kidney

A pivots and checks kidney thrust with a palm up live hand, thrusts toward B's throat/face with an angle 7 (though it's more of an upward angle than a horizontal angle)

B checks the thrust with live hand, places forearm of blade hand against A's blade-hand forearm, slaps to far side of his checking hand (I call it a hubad motion but you might call it cadena de mano), then thrusts down toward A's subclavian (the one closest to glasses

A moves subclavian back (which also chambers his blade for the #5 thrust) and parries the shot with live hand

B zones back (force A to have to cover the most distance to land his #5 thrust) and uses his live hand to strip A's live hand off.

Drill repeats ...

Mike

Tye Botting
Administrator

Re: Re: Sumbradas and variations
Reply #2 Posted at Mon Aug 23 21:18:07 2004 IP199.184.208.111

On Mon Aug 23 20:55:11 2004, Mike Casto wrote: (read quoted post)I think I'll be able to figure it out - except for one thing. You wrote:

#3 strike // sweep block
#9 strike // #9 block

OK. #3 strike // sweep block is easy.
But then what does the B side counter with that A answers with a cutting block?

Ah! That #8 strike by B is what causes A to cutting block - basically the strikes in the pairings are what cause the blocks, the way I write it. Sorry for the confusion. wink

Tye Botting
Administrator

Re: Re: Sumbradas and variations
Reply #3 Posted at Mon Aug 23 21:20:02 2004 IP199.184.208.111

On Mon Aug 23 20:55:11 2004, Mike Casto wrote: (read quoted post)For my part (at least what I've got time for right now), I'll put the text of the Palusot Flow here - you and I went over it briefly at the Fest...[del]

Cool! Thanks - and having a name helps my feeble simian brain. I was thinking about that and realizing I did not remember a couple linking moves - this should fix that nicely! I'll work on it with Rita if she'll let me.

Mike Casto

Re: Re: Re: Sumbradas and variations
Reply #4 Posted at Wed Aug 25 02:49:12 2004 IP68.210.159.149

On Mon Aug 23 21:18:07 2004, Tye Botting wrote: (read quoted post)Ah! That #8 strike by B is what causes A to cutting block - basically the strikes in the pairings are what cause the blocks, the way I write it. Sorry for the confusion. wink

Aha. I get it. I'll play with that.

Mike Casto

Re: Sumbradas and variations
Reply #5 Posted at Wed Aug 25 04:11:44 2004 IP68.210.159.149 Here's another one:

This is from GM Cacoy Canete. In his numbering system, it's 7, 2, 1, 12, 4, 3, 6 and is a 14 count sumbrada. Since his numbering system has some stuff that yours doesn't have, I'll outline his numbering system before describing the drill. BTW, Tye, the GM Cacoy's numbering system is the same one I taught on the 2003 Muncie Workshop video.

1 - vertical down to crown of head
2 - backhand diagonal down to clavicle
3 - forehand diagonal down to clavicle
4 - backhand uppercut to ribs
5 - forehand uppercut to ribs
6 - backhand horizontal to waist
7 - forehand horizontal to waist
8 - backhand diagonal down to knee
9 - forehand diagonal down to knee
10 - backhand thrust to face
11 - forehand thrust to face
12 - abdominal thrust

So, in the sumbrada:

A - #7
B - sweep block to #2
A - sweep block to #1
B - roof to #12
A - dropping block to #4
B - sweep block to #3
A - sweep block to #6
B - sweep block to #7 (drill repeats with B in A's role)

Mike
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Return to Modern Arnis