Variations on Choy Lay Fut?

For discussions concerning all types of traditional chinese martial arts.

Postby Tye Botting » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:18 pm

From the old forums...

Fire and Rain

Started at Sat Jun 19 19:52:09 2004 IP24.175.151.195 I read Geoff's article on vague martial arts terminology the other day, and was interested by his comment:

"Even Choy Lay Fut has two very distinct branches (Bak Sing and Hung Sing)."

I was wondering, does anybody here know more about the major differences between the two branches, and the history behind them?

As always, I'm curious to learn more about the background of the arts I've studied.

- Fire and Rain

Tye Botting
Administrator

Re: Variations on Choy Lay Fut?
Reply #1 Posted at Mon Jun 21 13:34:32 2004 IP204.196.55.102 All that I know is that one has far more forms (multiple hundreds) whereas the other is more reasonable (only nearly 100). wink Unfortunately, I'm not even sure which is which, Hung Sing vs. Bak Sing, regarding this difference
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Hung Sing Forms..

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:31 pm

As a Hung Sing practitioner, I can almost count on 1 hand the number of hand sets we have. Kinda... :eek:

I practice two lineages of the same school of CLF... one undiluted from Futsan & the other from Lau Bun who was a student of 1st generation master Yuen Hai. They were brought back together by Dino Salvatera in 1999.

In the Lau Bun line, there are 3 Major hand forms & 2 minor sets. One or two two man sets, jong sets & lots of weapons.

In the Futsan line, there are 5 Major hand forms & 2 or 3 minor sets. Again a couple of two man sets, jong sets & tons of weapons.

I'm not that familiar with Buk Sing, but I've heard they have a minimal amount of forms (less than us) & spend as much if not more time than we do working apps & making contact.

As far as history goes, that's always a tender spot I'll leave alone. The history of Buk Sing & Hung Sing is pretty straight forward. Tam Sam was a student of Hung Sing CLF who got in a fight & beat a couple of his seniors at the Hung Sing school. His teacher (forgot his name... no offense) didn't want to but had no choice except to expell him. He moved to a little north of Guangzhou & set up shop in a place named Siu Buk. His students wanted him to change the name to something other than Hung Sing (which is what he was teaching it as) & eventually his version of Hung Sing CLF came to be called Buk Sing CLF.

This is if anybody's interested... :-D

Postby Tye Botting » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:53 am

Very cool - thanks for contributing. Would love to hear more; CLF has always intrigued me.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby guest » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:00 pm

Would love to, but it seems my account is still inactive. The User name is clfsean. I never received the activation email... could you shoot that to me again please?

Thanks!

Sean

Postby Tye Botting » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:09 pm

Sorry, it does that every once in awhile. I've just activated you manually instead.

guest wrote:Would love to, but it seems my account is still inactive. The User name is clfsean. I never received the activation email... could you shoot that to me again please?

Thanks!

Sean
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby clfsean » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:05 am

That's better... thanks!! :D

So what would or is there anything you'd like me to run off at the spout about CLF?
It's like they always say....

Waitaminute... what do they always say??
clfsean

Postby Tye Botting » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:57 pm

Anything really - I have a friend in Atlanta and while he's into very traditional Okinawan stuff (but applicable) and such, he's always on the lookout for good MA schools.
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby clfsean » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:26 pm

Cool... have your friend check out (if they haven't already) ... www.atlantamartialarts.com ... it's a site I administer. It's got a directory on it of schools here in town. Tell your friend ahead of time though it only responds to MS IE with Windows... :evil:

Hmmm... spouting on anything... gimme a thought. It's hard to just "yap" without a direction... :o

clfsean

Postby Shaolin Bushido » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:27 am

I'm listening ... there's a guy here in Charlotte who teaches informally and he's a long distance student of ... the grandmaster down Florida way. I'm not good wiht names, but the most renowned brother passed and his brother has taken over as grandmaster.

He's it around here as far as Choy Lay Fut. I believe he's competent ... much more so than I am in any style. He doesn't consider himself "sifu" or ask students to address him as such.
www.ultimate-gym.com Filipino MA, JKD, Muay Thai, BJJ, Kyokushin Karate, Boxing
Shaolin Bushido

Postby clfsean » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:33 pm

Li Siu Hung is in Florida running the school his brother Lee Koon Hung started. He took it over after LKH died in the late 90's.

Any is better than none & as long as his basics are solid, the rest is buttah... 8)

clfsean

Postby Shaolin Bushido » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:42 pm

clfsean wrote:Li Siu Hung is in Florida running the school his brother Lee Koon Hung started. He took it over after LKH died in the late 90's.

Any is better than none & as long as his basics are solid, the rest is buttah... 8)
Yes, thank you ... that's who I was thinking of.
www.ultimate-gym.com Filipino MA, JKD, Muay Thai, BJJ, Kyokushin Karate, Boxing
Shaolin Bushido

More than two variations of choy lee fut

Postby hskwarrior » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:45 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first time here, so I thought I'd check it out. Since I am a long time student/teacher of the Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut systym I naturally gravitated over to this Choy Lee Fut Topic.

I have been researching the history on Choy Lee Fut for many years now, and I can say for sure there are more than two variations of Choy Lee Fut.

1st, is the Chan Family Choy Lee Fut which was first created by Chan Heung, then finalized with his student now co-founder of the system Jeong Yim. The Chan Family chose to keep their own gung fu within their own organiztation.

Now, aside from the CHan Family, you have the Fut San Hung Sing Kwoon under Jeong Yim, and the Buk Sing Kwoon-founded by Tam Sam. In the Hung SIng Kwoon we have everything passed down from Jeong Yim, not only had CHan Heungs Choy and Lee Styles, but also has the Fut from the Green Grass Monk teaching Jeong Yim Fut Gar. The Chan family doesn't have anything to do with the green grass monk.

Then you have Tam Sams Buk Sing Kwoon, where up until the exchange of 5 students from each of Ku YU Jeung and Tam Sams schools, was purely Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut. Once those 5 students came back to Tam Sam that is when and where the Buk Sing Branch developed into having a lot of northern flavor in it.

See, most only know that there are 3 branches of Choy Lee Fut (Chan, Hung Sing and Buk Sing), with two "Hung Sings". Chan Heungs Hung Sing meant "Great Sage Hung" while Jeong Yim's originally used the "Hung" from the Hung Mun Secret Society to represent his connection to them and used the "Sing" meaning Victory to secretly imply that the Hung Society will win the victory in the war of overthrowing the Ching and retoring the Ming.

However, Chan Koon Pak (Chan Heung's son) used "strong Victory" with the Hung from the word Hero "Ying Hung". Im sure this branch, although rarely seen has some differences from the chan family or Hung Sing family of Choy Lee Fut.

one thing though, however separated, we are still choy lee fut!

sorry for barging in and dropping a mess load of stuff my first time out, but this is my passion.

hsk warrior
also started his own branch.
Everything in life happens for a reason.
hskwarrior
Instructor

Postby Tye Botting » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:44 pm

Cool info - thanks for sharing! I was hoping someone directly involved would post the full deal. There's always more to the story...

And welcome here, by the way!
Tye Botting
Site Admin

Postby hskwarrior » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:11 pm

thanks for the warm welcome.

this is my first time checking out your forum, pretty cool.

well, if anyones interested you can check out my webpages

[url]hlk.zoomshare.com or[/url]hsclf.zoomshare.com

if you go to the links and follow them you can learn more on the history of the Lau Bun Hung Sing linage.

thanks again.

hsk
Everything in life happens for a reason.
hskwarrior
Instructor

Postby Abel Martinez » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:33 pm

Howdy Dr. Sifu Guro Botting.

I have recently hooked up with a man by the name of Mike Schmidt from Granbury who has a dojo. He teaches CLF (from Doc Fai Wong), aikido, and kenjutsu. He has recently started taking my arnis class and teaches the kenjutsu afterwards.

Check out www.fourseasonsonline.org
---
Abel Martinez
amartinez@tiaer.tarleton.edu

Northern Shaolin / Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu
Remy Presas Style Modern Arnis
Yang Style Taijiquan
Abel Martinez
TKF Instructor

Next

Return to Traditional Chinese Martial Arts